Friday, March 21, 2014

Shorts and Short Sleeve Weather

I haven't been able to put in quite the mileage that I was hoping for this week.  The attempted marathon beat me up pretty good.  I also haven't rested too much since then.  None of my runs have been 6 miles or more, but I've run frequently.

Today is another busy day of NCAA basketball games.  I didn't have to work this morning, so that meant that I could run before the games.  The plan was to attempt 10 miles at Sand Island.  I thought about running at Jacobsburg, but I wanted a flat and soft surface.  I'm also not sure if all the snow has quite melted there yet.  I got out for the run around 10:30 in the morning.

There were a couple women running through the parking lot as I arrived.  They had on long sleeves and tights.  However, I know that most runners wear too much and especially women.  I wanted to run with shorts and a short sleeve shirt.  The shorts were a definite.  It was the top layer that was in question.  It was warm, in the 40s, but there was a breeze.  It was too warm for a jacket.  Eventually, I settled on short sleeves since this was a long run.

It was a bit chilly in the beginning and it took a mile or two to get warm.  The short sleeve shirt ended up being a good choice though.  I knew the trail would be sloppy, so I wore trail shoes.  I wanted to run out 2.5 to 3 miles toward Allentown, then turn around and finish up in the other direction.

The beginning of the route was sloppy.  There was a little snow and ice in one section.  It was tough to get good footing at times because where the snow had melted, the ground was very soft. 

With the nicer weather and the soft surface, I was very relaxed early.  I ran easy and barely even noticed my pace.  I rarely looked at the watch.  The trains on the other side of the canal weren't too loud yet either, so everything was peaceful. 

I kept going out and was feeling good.  I came to several geese at different spots.  It was funny to see their different reactions to me.  I stayed clear of them, but one of them still hissed as I went by.  Two others flew away, long before I even arrived at them.  At least none of them attacked me.

The breeze wasn't too bad and it did have a cooling effect.  After some time, it did get somewhat annoying though.  I was glad that it would be at my back for most of the way back.  I got to 2.5 miles and felt good, so I kept going.  The more I could do before turning around, the better. 

I thought that if I go to 3.5 miles, that would be great.  I got there and still continued on.  Then, I figured 4 miles would be the turn around point.  I decided to keep going though.  I even got to Allentown Canal Park.  I continued on to the access road to it.  I could see the City of Allentown across the river.

I wanted to run to 4.5 miles.  However, I saw some geese up ahead and they looked defensive.  I turned around at 4.4 miles.  I was glad to be heading back, although not feeling great.  The brief stretch of pavement helped.

As I went on, I started to feel worse and worse.  I guess the dirt surface was too soft.  My legs don't like surfaces that are too hard or too soft.  I need it "just right."  I guess I'm the Goldilocks of running.

I tried to focus only on the next mile.  I got to mile 6 and wanted to get to mile 7.  I figured that if I got to mile 8, I could walk back if needed.  For the longest time, I realized that since the parking lot, I had not seen a single person.  That was over 45 minutes.  It was odd.  Usually there are at least some walkers.  Finally, around mile 6, I saw another runner.  It was a guy with a big beard and shaved head.  He looked kind of familiar.  About a mile later, I saw a lady walking.

I tried to keep a consistent pace.  A train went by and I tried not to let it cause me to pick up my pace.  The opening mile had been an 8:25.  Miles 2 through 8 were between 7:39 and 7:57.  Most were in the 7:50s.

My quads were sore, but my calf started to bother me too.  I couldn't wait to be done or at least off the canal path.  It was a struggle, but I made it back to Sand Island.

I was slightly under 9 miles at that point.  I didn't want to continue on the soft surface.  Therefore, I decided to run on the pavement.  I headed toward the Colonial Industrial Quarter.  I knew that was lightly traveled.  The City of Bethlehem puts all their snow there and I actually went the wrong way and had to turn around.  I then ran through the old buildings. 

I went past an older couple.  Just before 9.5 miles, I ran on the footbridge over the creek.  I finished up right before my car.  After an 8:02 mile 9, I ran the final mile at 7:56.  Amazingly, they pavement made my quads feel better.

I have to watch this quad situation closely.  The weather looks great for the marathon I wanted to do next weekend.  However, I don't think I'll be recovered enough by then to sign up for it.  I don't want to totally destroy my body.  I might have to plan for a summer marathon instead.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to run again.  I'd like to go with the BCR.  We'll see if I can get up.  I have no mileage plan.  Anything from 6-10 miles would be great.  They are running at the Saucon Rail Trail.  I haven't been able to run there in some time.

10 miles - 1:19:13 (7:55 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment