Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Spring Preview

The last two days and especially today, we've had a spring preview.  It was in the mid 40s yesterday and up  into the 50s today.  It will be back down to the 20s again in the next few days, so spring is only a preview.  It isn't in theaters yet.  No release date has been announced either.

Alright, enough of the movie jokes.  I planned on running on Saturday and Sunday was hoping for some group runs.  However, my left kneecap started to bother me.  I couldn't chance it a week out from the marathon, so I took some rest.  With the nice weather, I wanted to get one short run in before the race.  The plan was to run 5 easy miles today.

I headed to Riverview on this near perfect day.  Actually, if anything it was too warm.  Last time I ran, it was in 20s.  Now, it was in the mid 50s.  That is quite the jump and a tough adjustment.  It was nice to wear shorts and short sleeves.  I had to break out the sunglasses too.  The shorts I wore were compression shorts that I would like to wear this weekend for the race.  I had not been able to run in them yet, so this was a perfect chance.

I started off nice and easy and headed toward the Boat Launch.  The snow melting process is really going now.  So much so, that there were a lot of puddles on the pavement.  I didn't mind going through them.  It's much better than running on ice.

I felt alright at the start.  My left foot was mildly sore and my legs seemed a bit cranky.  I wasn't as sharp as I was hoping for.  Still, I did have a lot of energy and could've released some speed, if needed.  I held back though.

The pace seemed slow at first, but it gradually dropped.  The first mile was an 8:17.  There were so many people out on the path, especially with their dogs.  I guess everyone is done hibernating.  I was just glad I wasn't running in the city.  Philadelphia is probably super crowded today.

I got into a groove and felt better after the first mile.  The run wasn't quite going by as fast as I excepted.  I thought it would fly by with the great weather and good feelings.  It just seemed normal.  Mile 2 was a 7:40.

The plan was to run out to 2.5 miles and turn around.  I figured the Boat Launch would be a mess, so I ran up the hill.  It's a nice and gradual climb.  Overall, it's not too bad.  I passed some young ladies and then turned around right passed the Route 33 Bridge.  It was good to be heading back.

Now, I was cruising downhill.  My breathing was fine and I was going easy and I was relaxed.  Mile 3 was a 7:28.  The pace continued to dip and the second half of the run sure seemed faster than the first half.  I zipped along.  Mile 4 was more of the same at 7:29.

I watched as my overall pace went below 7:45.  It seemed like I was inside the final mile in no time.  It has a nice downhill and I cruised along.  I passed a woman on one of those low seated bikes.  A cute little girl went by with a football, right as I was finishing up.  That last mile was a 7:16.  The effort was still minimal too.

I wore a shirt that I know chafes when it is hot.  While it didn't quite cause a problem, it got close.  That shows how warm it is.  I nearly had issues after only 5 miles.  I probably could've actually went shirtless.  It's weird how much the weather has changed lately.

The marathon race weather looks interesting.  It may rain some, although not much is likely I guess.  Originally, the forecast up there was calling for 38-40 degrees as a high.  The last time I checked, that jumped to 47 degrees.  That could make the race interesting.  I might do a very brief 2 miles or so before the race, but if not, this will be my last run until Saturday.  I'm as ready as can be.  I just have to run smart and be healthy.

5 miles - 38:10 (7:38 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment