Saturday, March 1, 2014

5.29 Miles

The BCR was running at Ironton today.  I love that trail, so I decided to go.  I needed 5 miles too, so it was perfect.  The only issue was my usual lack of sleep.  I was covering basketball games in Pottsville last night.  I didn't leave there until 9:30.  I grabbed a coffee and that kept me awake longer too.  I got a little under 4 hours of sleep.

I knew the weather was going to be cold, but I didn't think it would be too bad since there was almost no wind.  I had on the usual, including a fleece vest.  I opted for a winter hat and that was a good option.  I also was glad to have a second pair of gloves.

We started off and the group split up early.  The first few people went to the right.  I followed Mertz and the other faster people to the left.  I wasn't going to run with him today though.  I needed to take it easy.  I like this direction anyway, because you get the boring desolate section out of the way first.

I think the temperature was under 10 degrees.  Whatever the case, it was cold.  I don't know how people can regularly run during the morning in the winter.  Even with thick gloves on, my hands began to get numb in the beginning.  I went with a 2nd pair of gloves and having my hands exposed to put them on, made it even worse. 

I had to run with my hands in my pocket for about a mile or so.  Then, I was able to warm them up and continue on comfortably.  The rest of me didn't feel too bad.  I was glad that it was sunny.

The first mile was an 8:25.  I took it nice and easy.  I was following behind Gayle and Tom the whole time.  I wasn't in any hurry to work and catch up to them.  They set a nice pace.  I didn't try to run faster, but I guess I did.  I began to reel them in slowly. 

I caught up to them just past the detour section.  That was somewhere around mile 2.  I considered slowing down to their pace to chat, but I liked my rhythm.  I went by them and ran an 8:02 second mile.

I ended up slowly pulling away from them and Mertz was nowhere in sight up ahead.  I was on my own for the final 3+ miles.  That's fine, since it is a short run.  I figured I might encounter runners going the other way soon.  I did see Pete and someone else.  Later on, I saw Sue, Miriam and Diana, but I guess most of the others in the group ran the same direction as I had.

It got a bit cold in some of the shady sections, but luckily that didn't happen too often.  I sputtered along.  Miles 3 and 4 were both 7:51.  That is pretty darn consistent.  At least I had some houses to look at at this point.

I was surprised that the legs didn't feel great after taking Friday off and not running much this week.  Maybe that was because I was just so tired from lack of sleep.  Whatever the case, it wasn't a great morning.

I passed a woman and I guess her mom running.  I had less than a mile to go at that point.  I cruised over the road crossings.  I then got to the last big hill and pushed up over it.  That meant that mile 5 was run at 7:42.

I ran until the end of the path, which was 5.29 miles.  I love round numbers and typically would've run and out and back to mile 6.  However, I ran 13.2 miles and 6.2 miles earlier in the week, so my overall mileage was uneven anyway.

Although it was cold and I ran alone, it was a good, short run.  I don't run with the club as often as I'd like, so it was great to see everyone.  I did join today hoping that they would eat at Griddle 145.  Instead, we went to the Whitehall Diner first and then City View Diner when we couldn't get seated at the first one.  It was a fine meal and good socializing.  Hopefully I'll come out with them more as it gets warmer.

Tomorrow is going to be a tough run.  I'm hoping I can run 15-17 miles at my goal race pace (6:51).  I'm going to run at Ironton and I'm hoping to have a few friends to run with.  It may be a little tough for me with the weather and the trail.  It is a little hilly as well.

5.29 miles - 42:07 (7:58 pace)   

No comments:

Post a Comment