Monday, September 3, 2012

Runners. Yeah, We’re Different


Adidas used to run adds in Runner’s World that said, “Runners.  Yeah, We’re Different.”  They would show pictures of unique things that runners do, like learn how to aim snot.  I couldn’t help but think of this campaign as I was running tonight.  

Since I couldn’t get my run done in daylight, I opted to eat first and watch some football after we got back from the race today.  That also meant that I had to let the food settle for about 2 hours.  Because of that, I didn’t get out to run until 11 PM.  What really make it unique though was where I was running and how I was running.

I put on the headlamp, compression socks and reflective vest and headed out of the camper.  Because it was such a steep section when you leave the campground, I opted to run circles around the campground.  As I did the first loop, I was relieved to learn that each loop was .85 miles long rather than around .5 miles I had originally thought.  That meant far fewer loops than I planned for as I was going for an 8 mile run.

I started off with 3 loops in the counterclockwise direction.  These actually weren’t as bad as I thought they would be.  I kept my headlamp low and could only see the ground right in front of me.  That meant I didn’t notice my surroundings in the campground too much.  A rarely was even sure when I passed our camper. 
The other thing that a short field of view was good for was the inability to see the top of hills.  That meant that I didn’t know how much climbing remained.  There were plenty of hills to be sure.  The whole campground is rolling.  The toughest one was between our main loop and the small loop in the other part of the campground.  It was short, but quite the climb.

I did sort of get bored after three loops, so I decided to change it up.  I then ran in the clockwise direction.  That was uncomfortable to say the least.  My right leg had started to bother me a little before that, but that made it worse.  My time per mile dropped by around 30 seconds.  This is proof that I favor one side or am just much weaker on one side.  That could be a big reason for some of my soreness.  I need to balance that out.

The hills made it tough, but the air made it more difficult.  The temperature wasn’t that high, but it was still so muggy.  By the end of the run, I felt like I was swimming.  My shorts were dripping.  I also took my headlamp off and sweat sprayed all over the place.  Add to that the smoke from some camp fires and my breathing was surely compromised.  Once while doing a reverse loop, I felt a breeze.  That was brief though and the only time I felt any air (other than when I finished up running much faster).

The people in the campground must’ve thought I was crazy.  I ran by the over and over again in the nearly 1 hour and 15 minute workout.  I had to pass at every camp site on the outer loop at least 5 times, probably closer to 8 times.  Luckily, must of the people were in bed and didn’t notice me.  Quite a few did though.  There were several walkers.  The first one I saw had a dog.  I didn’t even see it.  I just saw its glowing eyes.  As I went through the inner loop of our site, someone followed me with their headlamp or flashlight.  I was definitely bizarre.  

Towards the end of the run, I realized that two big loops would just about get me to the end.  I did one, but couldn’t get myself to do a second one.  I didn’t want to go up the bigger hills in the adjacent loop, so I just went around our outer and inner loops.

Even though I was beat and my pace was slowing a bit, I picked it up at the end.  I finished with a fairly hard final half mile.  It felt good to really move.  I cut my overall pace nicely.  The humidity and hills took a lot out of me, but I showed I had something left.

I am so focused and determined right now.  I think about 90% of runners would’ve just skipped running today.  They would’ve found and excuse.  I actually would’ve done the same in the past.  I’m just so determined.  This is kind of like a job to me, except that it is one I actually like.  Most days are good, but even if they aren’t I just put my head down and grind it out.  That’s sure what I did today on this repetitive loop course.  It was far from fun, but I knew I had to get it done.  I knew I’d feel better at the end too.

Even though the run was tougher than some of my double digit mileage runs, my legs were fresh afterward.  They weren’t sore.  I recovered well with a short walk.  This is the end of my cutback week and it seems like it was a big help for my legs.

With all the walking we’ll be doing again tomorrow on race day, I’m glad I’m taking off from running.  I’ll get enough accomplished without it.  I might opt to run a 5k down here on Monday.  It depends how I feel that morning.  I’m very bugged about how slow my last 5k was and I want to see what I can do a month later.  If I don’t race, I’ll be doing some speedwork later in the day when we get home from our trip.  We will have to see how things play out.

8 miles – 1:13:15 (9:09 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment