Friday, September 28, 2012

Cloudy Friday

After putting in a tough double on Thursday, I needed to run another session this morning.  It was just an easy 4 miler, but my sore quads surely weren't recovered from yesterday's workouts.  I wanted to run Schoeneck because I enjoy that course, but I figured that my quads would be screaming.  I opted instead to head to the Plainfield Recreation Trail.  It has been a little while since I've been there.  I was thinking about running the neighborhood by my house, but decided not to.

It had rained pretty good earlier in the day.  The ground was soaked.  I wore a hat since it was supposed to rain off and only.  The only rain that came down during the run was a light drizzle.  I had to get moving pretty early because I planned to watch a cross country meet all day.

I started off nice and easy.  I just tried my best to enjoy the run.  It was dark and gloomy, but those are kind of my type of conditions anyway.  I did my best not to look at my watch at the beginning of the run.  I knew that would make the run fly by faster.  I was so proud of myself that I made it to .87 miles before glancing down.  That is a big accomplishment.

There were a lot of black walnuts on the trail.  I decided that I would kick them off the trail and sort of make a game of it.  That made for a nice distraction on this usually boring run.  I didn't try to clear every one, but just enough to keep me busy.

With the rain, this trail was nice and peaceful most of the time.  It isn't a highly trafficked trail anyway.  Weekends can be busy, but weekdays are usually quiet.  I had the trail all to myself on the entire way out.

The out part of the run went by pretty fast.  On the way back, I finally encountered a couple.  They were biking earlier when I parked at the trailhead.  They were quite sure where they were then.  After a short period, I was all alone again and back to kicking walnuts.

I cruised along and it was quite uneventful.  Part of the last mile must've been uphill because it was quite tough.  Finishing up was a breeze though and likely downhill.

Toward the end, I passed a couple walking their dog on a leash.  They going the other way was another pair with an unleashed dog.  Plus, there were a couple cute guys running with their dog on a leash.  I guess it was a busy day for dogs on the trail.

Being finished was great.  I stretched and felt a little better.  I certainly have to do something about my quads.  They are so beat up.  I need to use the foam roller more often.  I need to use it a few times each day.

Tomorrow, I am volunteering to help my friend Tom with his race.  I am going to be a course marshal in the 5k over in New Jersey.  That should be fun.  I am also going to have to somehow get my 16 mile run in.  The 5k isn't until 10 AM.  It looks like the weather will be cool all day.  I guess I'll run later on in the day.  It might be humid though.  I'd love to run with someone, but I guess I'll be doing it alone.  Oh well.

4 miles - 33:26 (8:22 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment