Thursday, September 13, 2012

Another Double (Sort of)

I didn't run a true double today, but I say it was sort of a double because I ran at two completely different paces.  I had 10 or 15 minutes in between each.  Both runs were at a comfortable pace.

Last week, Kelley got me to do some extra mileage before the main LVRR Group Run.  Even though I figured she probably wouldn't make it tonight, I decided on an extra 3 miles alone.  I started off around 5:20 PM.  I decided to basically run the 5k loop from yesterday, but without the grass and in the opposite direction.

Since it is flat going east, the start was nice and easy.  I cruised around at what I thought was very slow pace and was surprised when I looked down at my watch.  It was still under a 9 minute pace.

Shortly after the first mile, I came upon two guys in front of me.  They looked like they came from the disc golf area, but they were running.  I tired to ignore them because I didn't want to get into a race.  I didn't try to run faster, but I guess I just naturally did anyway.

There pace was okay, so it took some time to catch them at my easy pace.  I eventually did just past the bridge near the clubhouse.  I sped up when I went by because I didn't want them on my tail.  I then relaxed and just cruised around.

The weather was still decent, but there was some humidity.  It was certainly present as I was wearing my Group Run Leader T-shirt.  I've dealt with much worse, but can't wait until it really gets cool out.

There is a barn like structure just before the covered bridge.  The guys that were behind me suddenly passed me and then stopped right there.  I guess they were doing some sort of speedwork, although it wasn't that fast.  I just continued on.

The rest of this loop was uneventful.  The hills weren't much of a problem on the way back.  I just cruised along and finished right in the parking lot next to my car.  It was perfect little addition at an 8:30 pace.

Some days, I'm just hoping no one with any speed shows up to the group run.  After running the 5k yesterday, today was one of those days.  I got my wish.  Kelley and Peter weren't there.  I sort of figured they might not be after they ran the 5k yesterday.  I was glad because we all probably would've pushed each other too hard.

Jen showed up again as did a new guy Rob.  It was a small group.  Rob posted on facebook about the pace and location of the group run.  It was great to have him out.  Usually when people have asked that in the past or even liked our facebook status updates, they are a no show.  Anita (the Saturday 8:30 run leader) was there as well with her dog.  She didn't run with us, we just chatted.

Rob said he runs around at 10:30 pace and Jen isn't very fast, so this was a perfect day for me.  I just joined the pace group for the Runner's World Half Marathon and I need some practice running slower.  I'll be pacing the 2:10 group for that.

Rob and I ran together and Jen was with us for a bit before she fell off.  Rob had just run the full marathon on Sunday.  I was surprised that he was running this soon after.  He said he's been running most of the week.  I usually take a full week off after a marathon.

When people say they run a certain pace, I usually like to go a little faster so that they get a good workout.  I did that for today's run.  I ran just over a 10 minute pace.  Around the 1 mile marker, I had to go around some slower ladies.  I did that quickly and let Rob catch up. 

I just cruised along and chatted with Rob.  He was breathing a bit hard before the big hill.  We slowed a little more.  Most of the run was uneventful for me, but it was good to run at a slower pace and recover some more.

Just before the start of the big hill at the Fish Hatchery, Rob started to walk.  I ran up the hill alone, although not hard.  I kept on going too since I couldn't see him when I got back down the other side.

The goal wasn't to fly ahead of people though, so I went as far as the Fireman's Bridge because he could've came across there.  I then looped back to find him.

Rob and Jen were running together when I got to them.  I didn't put on as much mileage as I thought I would looping back.  I only got an extra tenth or two.  I'm glad they were running together.  Jen comes very far and I hate that she has to run alone at times.

I tucked in behind the two of them and let them set the pace for the rest of the run.  We cruised along and chatted a little more.  On one of the last hills, Rob started to walk again.  I just continued to run with Jen.  She's not too fast, but actually got up the hills fairly well.  It was nearly as fast as her flat running.

We then finished up at the clubhouse.  I forgot about my extra little bit of mileage, so I actually ran over 5 miles.  I almost never do that as I like to keep my mileage exact.  With the 5k being 3.1 miles yesterday, it was really no big deal.

After everyone left and I was finished a couple other runners were chatting by their car.  It was a man and a woman who I see there every week.  I often see them running out on the paths too.  They don't run together.  I joined in their conversation about fueling, running hills and also the Runner's World Half Marathon.  I didn't invite them to run with us, but I probably should.  Maybe I will do so next week.

Today was a great day to take it easy, but still get some miles in.  I barely put out any effort in this 8+ mile run.  My legs are still sore, especially my quads.  I've been using the foam roller on them a little.  I think I need to add some more of that.  The last week or two is just beating me up.  My body isn't enjoying the extra mileage.  I'll back off later if needed.

This run was also some good practice for pacing.  It was fairly close to what I'll be pacing for the half marathon.  It wasn't quite consistent because the other runners varied their pace a little, but I feel like I can run pretty steady.  The only thing that will be tricky about pacing the half is that the course isn't flat.  It has some hills and I need to run those fairly consistently.  It should be fun and a good way to help others.

Tomorrow is my dreaded Friday easy run.  This week, it will be 5 miles instead of 4.  I think I'm going to start at Lehigh's Goodman Campus and run up South Mountain.  That will be tough climbing the hill.  It will allow me to stay focused during the run.  That is my biggest problem with easy Friday runs.  I invited Kelley, but I'm not sure yet if she will go or not.  I like running the mountain, but I also hate avoiding the traffic there.  I've seen worse though.

ALONE 3 miles - 25:31 (8:30 pace)
WITH GROUP 5.20 miles - 52:52 (10:10 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment