Thursday, September 27, 2012

An Easy Double Up

Today was another double run day.  I was so pissed about my poor speedwork session yesterday that I couldn't let it linger.  I needed to get back out there and run again, even if it was easy.  From the moment I started writing about yesterday's run, I was eager to get back out there.  Initially, I considered running after dark last night.  I wasn't feeling great, so I gave myself a little more rest.

I couldn't take waiting until the evening to run, so I headed to the Nor-Bath Trail this morning.  The plan was a very easy 4 mile run from Bicentennial Park.  It rained a lot this morning, so the ground was soaked.  I didn't notice the rain as it was already sunny and warming up out.

I started off heading west on the trail.  Originally, I was thinking of just doing an out and back each way to the nearest road crossings.  Having done that a few weeks ago, I knew that would be 3 miles total.  Since I'd still have to get another mile in, I just crossed Weaversville Road as I headed west.

I cruised over the two bridges.  I was looking at a map the other day and was confused.  I thought there were three of these bridges, but I guess there are only two.  My quads were tight at the start and the first mile was very slow again.  That mile ended in 9:24.

I need to run more miles as slowly and as comfortable as the first couple miles of this run.  I don't always run harder, but even on my easy days, I probably push more than I should.  I was having some injury problems when I went slower, but those have gone away.

After crossing Weaversville Road, I kept going.  I figured that I would continue on until the next road crossing.  This section was somewhat difficult because there isn't as much shade.  It was getting a little warm on the trail.  I thought about wearing a singlet, but figured there was no point with this being such an easy paced run.

As I got to the second road crossing, I was right around 1.75 miles.  I decided to turn around here and head back.  That would leave me with a half mile to cover when I got back to the park.  Normally, when I do these out and back runs in two directions, I like to run farther in the first one.

I didn't feel like I was running any harder on the way back, but my pace picked up significantly.  I guess my legs just came around.  There was also a slower runner up ahead.  Even though I tried to focus on the ground in front of me and not on catching him, I'm sure I instinctively ran faster to gain on him.

I got to Weaversville Road again and was happy that I had to wait for some cars.  I was hoping that that would allow the other runner to pull farther ahead.  I still gradually caught up to him.  As we approaching the first entrance to Bicentennial Park, he stopped and started walking.  I was just behind him at that point and had almost caught up.  I felt kind of bad because he was breathing pretty heavily at that pace and I wasn't even working at all during my faster pace.

After getting to the main entrance to the park, I headed out another half mile and then walked back.  It was nice and easy and comfortable.  The last two miles were still run in 8:27 and 8:31 though.  I was happy that my gray shorts weren't soaked.  It was cool enough and the run was easy enough that I didn't sweat much.

I saw a lot of people walking, running or biking on this beautiful fall morning.  What was odd was that I saw two people from my run on this trail on Monday.  What are the odds that we all workout there at the same time?  One was a Middle Eastern woman.  She was still carrying her purse, but at least her outfit looked more appropriate for running.  This time, I only saw her walking though.  The other person was the older guy who looks like he spends a lot time at the gym.  He was on his bike

This was a great easy run.  I need more of them like this.  I need to learn how to back off more and just enjoy running.  Not everything has to be fast.  An easy run like this can really aid recovery.  I'll keep note of that for the future.

The Thursday night LVRR Group Run turned out to be great too.  I saw Jen's car, but didn't see her because she started early to get in some additional miles.  A guy named Stephen showed up.  I've seen his name before online.  For awhile, I thought we would be the only ones running.  Then Rob showed up and another woman who ran once before and is a regular with the Saturday group (I forget her name).

I was relieved to see that it would be another easy run.  My body was quite beat up after yesterday and this morning's run.  Some days these runs are hard, others they are easy.  I knew Aaron wouldn't be there because he leads another run, so at least I knew today wouldn't kill me.

I went out nice and easy with Rob.  We chatted a bit about mileage, injuries and just training in general.  Stephen and the woman knew each other so they ran together.  For me, it was a nice and easy pace.  It was actually good practice for pacing the Runner's World Half Marathon.

Rob stopped to tie his shoe at the Robin Hood Bridge.  I didn't realize it, so I kept going.  I pulled Stephen and the woman along.  We talked about half marathons, specifically the one coming up with the Philly Marathon.  Rob told us that he ran the 20 in 24 on my old stomping grounds in summer.  That is a solo loop race where you run as many miles as you can in 24 hours.  I'm not sure I ever want to run that paved path over and over again.

Around the Route 78 Bridge, we got stretched out a bit.  The pace was fairly quick for the two of them.  I pulled them along.  Eventually we got to the big hill at the Fish Hatchery.  The woman left us, so it was just Stephen and I.

I hate running up this steep hill slow, so even though I don't like leaving anyone behind, I took off.  I went semi hard up the hill.  It is definitely getting easier to run this hill.  I was happy because this was the first time all run that I had to breath a bit hard.  The rest of the time I was barely working.  I don't mind though because I'm there to pace the group as needed.

I was quite far ahead of Stephen after the hill, so I slowed down dramatically until he caught up.  I guess I could've just turned back around and caught up to him.  That would've given me more mileage.

We ran together for the final mile and a half back to the Clubhouse.  He told me how impressed he was with my running up the hill.  It wasn't that hard, since I had not pushed up to that point in the run.  I guess sometimes I don't appreciate how well I am running right now.  I'm just so focused on where I want to go.

Although the temperature wasn't bad, it was still humid.  My Group Run Leader shirt gets quite sticky.  I was sweating pretty good, even if I wasn't working much.  I can't wait until it gets even cooler.  It is getting interesting now because it is almost dark by the end of the run.  Pretty soon, we will be finishing in the dark. 

We got to the last couple hills on the back of the route and I flew up them again.  Stephen made it up them, but he did have some trouble.  Maybe my pace was what made it difficult.  I blasted up the hills and then again let him catch up.  We cruised into the clubhouse and he finished up.  He thanked me for leading him in a pace faster than he would usually run.

I wanted to get some more done.  Plus, I wanted to run a little harder.  I pushed to do an out and back and get another mile in.  That gave me 6 miles for the run and 10 miles for the day.  For once, they were at a comfortable easy pace.  The lone exception was the speedy final mile which I ran at 7:45.

I need more easy and fun days like this.  I need to stop pushing so hard so often.  Maybe one day I'll learn.  Maybe I'll appreciate my day to day runs more too.

Tomorrow is probably another easy day.  If I feel good, I wouldn't mind pushing a bit more than I did today.  I'm thinking that I might head up into town and run Schoeneck and it's wonderful hill.  I need a 4 miler and that is about how long that course is.  I will be at a big cross country meet, the Paul Short Invitational, all day tomorrow.  I'm hoping my legs can handle all that walking and running around to take pictures.  On Saturday, I need to find a way to get my 16 miler in while also volunteering for a race that a friend is directing.

AM 4 miles - 35:27 (8:52 pace)
PM 6 miles - 54:52 (9:09 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment