Thursday, September 6, 2012

Another Humid Group Run

Since I missed completing the hard portions of yesterday's workout, I thought about some hill work in the morning.  I didn't feel great though, so I passed on that.  It was a good thing to because Kelley sent me a text and wanted to do some extra miles before the group run this evening.

I needed some more miles anyway, so it worked out well.  As we began the run, Jen had arrived.  I asked her if she wanted to join us or wait for the group.  She opted to wait.  Kelley and I took off together, heading east on the Parkway.  The plan was just for an easy 2 miles and we did exactly that.  As always with group runs, the time just flew by.  We had to slow for a dog, but that was about it.  We took a slightly different route across the river from the clubhouse.  We ended up running out and back a little on the hill road out of the Parkway's other lot.

We arrived back at the Clubhouse right at the 2 mile point.  Kelley's GPS wasn't working, so it was up to me to keep track.  I think the pace after two miles was a pedestrian 8:47.  We definitely weren't putting in a lot of effort.

A new runner, Jo came along and joined Jen.  It was good that Jen had some company.  I feel bad because she travels far to get to the group runs, but often has to run alone.  We probably need to add a slower group run leader.  Kelley and I lost the two of them early on as we headed west this second time, up and over the rolling hills.

The humidity was again unbearable.  I couldn't wear my group run leader T-shirt after the 2 miles in the beginning.  I just took it off and ran shirtless.  By the end of the run, my shorts were soaked and I had to walk funny.  Fall just can't get here fast enough. 

It is weird because it has been almost two weeks since I ran with Kelley.  That is rare.  I was on vacation for last week's run and she's been either too busy or sore for speedwork.  She has a sore tendon, although it didn't seem to bother her tonight.

I feel bad because one of my friend's Aaron came out for the group run last week, thinking that I would be there.  I never said on the facebook page that I wouldn't be.  I guess I should do that next time.  It would've been a good workout because he is fast.  He also just completed his first 50 miler over the weekend.  That's good stuff.

Since I haven't seen Kelley in weeks, we chatted a lot.  She went to the Baltimore Grand Prix auto race on Saturday, as did I.  We discussed that quite frequently, especially since I love to talk racing.  I probably said too about it.  I just like to let people know about one of my favorite sports, especially since it is so underrated and unknown.

Going up the big hill by the Fish Hatchery was difficult as always.  Kelley made a comment saying exactly that.  I commented back that it didn't seem as bad going in the opposite direction from what we usually do.  It seems much shorter in the direction that we went this evening.  It was still hard and she pulled ahead of me a little.  Maybe I should work on hammering up hills when I get the chance.  Instead, I opted to fly down it.  Maybe not the best idea on this stone path with my lightweight minimal shoes.

Most of the remainder of the run was uneventful as we just chatted away.  I think we saw Jen at one point on the other side.  I'm not sure, but her car was gone before we finished up.  I might run the free 5k next week, so I should've checked out the spot where I want to make my move.  When we did a group run a few weeks back, I busted my butt up the short hill near the Robin Hood Bridge and then flew downhill after that.  That would be ideal to pick it up at the end of the 5k, assuming I have something left in the tank.  We shall see.

Thanks to Kelley's extra mileage, I can back off a little tomorrow.  I was thinking of running 5 miles, but now I'll likely only do 4.  Friday's are always the day I enjoy the least.  It is always short and easy, but doing it solo makes it so dull and boring.  I have to find some creative places to run.  Maybe I'll try heading to the Poconos to make it interesting.  Saturday is a 14 mile long run.  I want to go to a high school cross country meet at Kutztown, so I need to either run there or go out very early even before the BCR group starts out.  They are running on the nearby Nor-Bath Trail, so that might help get me there.  Not sure that I want to start running at 5:30 AM.  I'm also not crazy about running in the humidity later on either.

7 miles - 59:29 (8:30 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment