Monday, September 10, 2012

Finally a Fall Run

The humidity of this summer has been killing me.  I've been looking forward to fall for quite awhile.  It might not be here to stay, but at least it showed up today.  Because it was going to be so cool, I slept in a bit and got started around 10 AM.  The temperature was in the low 60s at that point and the humidity was low too.  There was a slight breeze as well.  I could get used to this.

Since I might run the LVRR 5k on Wednesday, I opted to move my mile repeats up to today.  After failing to complete the 4 X 1 mile workout last week, I decided to repeat it.  I headed out onto the Ironton Rail Trail.  Part of it was that I haven't been there in awhile and another part of it was that I seem to have successful speedwork sessions there.  I'm not sure why that is.  I ran great there with Kelley over a month ago.  I also had an awesome session there last year.  I seem to struggle more on the D&L Trail, which isn't exactly good because that is where my half marathon takes place.  I need to get over that.

It was so cool at the start that I considered going with a regular shirt instead of a lightweight singlet.  I knew that the singlet would be a better choice.  Even if I was a little cold in the beginning, I'd warm up and be hot by the end.  That is especially true with this being a speedwork session.  I'm glad I've become quite experienced with clothing selection.  I also wore my compression shorts since they were almost the only thing left in my drawer.  They are starting to get quite tight as I put on more weight.

I warmed up with a mile.  It felt great and I felt as though I was running very easy, but the pace was great for the effort I was putting forth.  I was lifting my legs so little that I thought I must look like the really, really slow people that I see running.  Except of course I was still doing it under a 9 minute pace.

This place is actually perfect because most of the first mile is uphill, but then it drops down just around the time the first repeat starts.  That makes you feel like you are really flying without much effort in the beginning.  While the warmup was easy, I always do pick it up toward the end to get my legs ready for fast running.

I felt great early in the first fast segment.  It seemed easy and I was thrilled to see my pace around a 6:30.  Then things got screwy.  The GPS must've lost a signal for awhile.  Suddenly my pace was well over 7 and at one point within the first couple tenths of a mile, it read 8:38.  I knew that wasn't accurate.

The inaccurate GPS reading caused me to push a little more than I would've liked in the first segment.  I tried to just run more on effort then, rather than relying on my watch.  That worked for awhile, but I kept chewing up time and eventually I was approaching my goal 7 minute per mile pace.  As I got closer and closer, I pushed more and more.  By the end of the segment, I was absolutely flying.  Even with everything being screwed up, it said I ran a 7:02 first mile.  I was happy with that considering I knew that I went faster.

Last week, I tried using a third of a mile for recovery.  Today, I went back to a quarter mile.  That is just so tough.  It is definitely something that makes these repeats more difficult than when I ran half mile repeats.  Half mile repeats were great and I adapted well to them.  These are more of a struggle.  I start slipping toward the second half of each repeat.  I love the challenge though.

I think the second fast mile had some downhill to it as well.  I was moving pretty good in this one.  I was happy to make it across a road crossing without having to stop for traffic.  At one point, I had to yell because an old lady was drifting into my path as she was walking.  I guess that is part of the problem with me running so quietly.  This area is quite populated and there are a lot of walkers and bikers.  I have to dodge them at times.

The second mile was great, but it definitely took a lot out of me.  At that point, I knew I could get through the third hard mile.  I just wasn't sure if I would have enough for the fourth one.  My second speedy mile was an awesome 6:47.  It felt good even though it was exhausting.

The third mile was quite tough as well.  I noticed when coming to this section that there was a gradual uphill.  None of it is too bad.  It is just enough though that it can cost you a few seconds.  My time seemed quite slow early on, but I just kept battling.  This time I started out a little more gradual, and pushed as the repeat went along.  It was quite the struggle to finish up under pace, but I did just that.  I came in with a 6:57 mile.

I knew that the end of this 5.5 mile loop was slightly uphill.  Because of that, I decided to turn around and use the gradual downhill or flat section to my advantage for the final fast mile.  Even with the help of gravity, it was still difficult.  I could tell at the beginning of this repeat that my legs didn't have much left.  I figured I'd just finish up the rep and hope I was close to goal pace.  If not, I wouldn't worry about it.  I got to the half mile point of this one and was just under pace.

Turning around always kills momentum and slows the pace.  I had to do it again though because I was starting to come into another slight uphill.  I also wanted to start heading back to the finishing area.  I definitely lost some time as my pace slipped to 7:05 around the .6 mile mark.  I just kept talking to myself and said keep going.  I concentrated on maintaining strong form throughout the rep.

The final two tenths were quite fast.  I was at 6:59 and didn't want to let things slip at all.  I pushed and pushed and finished up at 6:56.  It was hard, but a great relief to be done with the speed.  I basically hit my goal too, except for the first repeat where my GPS was out of whack.

What a difference the weather made.  I finished up with a comfortable mile cooldown.  I was barely even sweating as I was done.  These cooler temperatures of the fall will be a big help in getting me through the rest of my training.  I ended the run with an overall average pace of 7:45.  That's quite fast for me.

I noticed when I was done, my lower calves were quite sore.  I finally shook the problem that I was having with the left one, but now that I'm running in excess of 40 miles a week, I am getting a lot of general soreness.  Not only my calves, but my quads are beat too.  Saturday's 14 miler was tough on me.  I think walking around the Lehigh Valley Marathon yesterday was a big help for me to recover.  I didn't get all the way there though.

I'm thrilled to hit my marks with this tough run.  The only thing is that I'd like is to be a little more consistent with my speed.  I seem to be looking at my watch too frequently and changing my paces too often.  That's not a good way to run these.  I need to be smooth and consistent throughout.  I'm running so close to my goal pace that I do seem to have to push just a little extra to hit it.  These mile repeats are exponentially more challenging than the half mile repeats were.

I'm not sure if there is anything to do to make these a little easier or more gradual anyway.  Maybe I should just add a half mile at a time to the last repeat.  Perhaps I run the same number of repeats in back to back weeks, but run the first week a little slower and the second week at goal pace.  For now, I'll stick with what I'm doing.  It just might be hard to add another fast mile each week.  We will have to see what happens.  I know running with a friend would be a big help, but Kelley is so busy now that I'm sure that won't happen much anymore.

It was good to bounce back from a poor session on Wednesday and nail this one today.  That's a big confidence boost.  Because I ran slower than last week's fartlek, I think I will recover better from this than I did last Monday.  I should be ready to run hard again for the race on Wednesday.

Tomorrow, I might run a double session.  I think I'm going to go to the Finish Line Group Run in the evening.  I haven't been there in a couple months.  It will be good to see the regulars again.  I might also run 4 or 5 miles easy in the morning.  I'm shooting for 48 total miles this week.  With a 5k in the middle of the week, I have to get some miles elsewhere.

7 miles - 54:12 (7:45 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment