Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Shorter Trexler Loop

It was only my second run back, but of course I'm not one for taking the easy route.  Therefore, I headed to Trexler to challenge myself late this afternoon.  The goal was to run at least five miles and I did that.  I was hoping I'd be able to get the entire loop in, but I'm not strong enough for that yet.

The route starts with a downhill and then and short uphill to get warmed up.  With my wound, I probably could've used a little more of a warmup.  It didn't bother me too much though.  About a third of a mile in there is a big climb.  The last two times there I was forced to walk it.  I don't know whether I'm getting stronger or the slower pace helped, but I got up this hill without much trouble.

It was great start.  Climbed a few of the other hills nice and easy.  The long climb wasn't bad either.  I managed to finish that one last time too though.  It is much more gradual than a lot of the hills there.  The tough part about this climb was the lack of shade.  While it was 75 degrees and breezy, it still felt hot.  Wearing a hydration system certainly wasn't helping.  I hate some sections of this climb because they are on grass and I don't like running on grass.

The winds were pretty impressive while I was at the top.  At one point, I knew I'd have to turn and face them.  It actually wasn't as bad as I thought.  After some brief downhill relief, it was on to more hills.  I was thrilled that I continued to be able to run up them.  I knew the big hill was eventually coming though.

Running through a flatter stretch, I started getting lightheaded at around three and a third miles.  Not sure if I was that exhausted or what.  It might've been the medicine that I'm now on for Crohn's.  It is strong stuff that is used in Leukemia treatment.  Hopefully that isn't going to wear me out.  I was drinking plenty of water, so I doubt I was dehydrated.

I was doing well until the big hill.  It isn't that long, but it is straight up and does seem never ending.  It's probably the toughest incline that I've ever run on.  I started running up it, but became demoralized when I saw what I thought was the top.  It turns out it wasn't even close.  I ended up walking most of the hill.  It is even tough to walk up.  I had my hands pushing my knees and I got winded.  I had nearly made it four miles before walking, so I was proud of that. 

The hill just took everything out of me though.  My pace had been a solid 11:15 range, after that it dropped a full minute overall to around 12:15.  I was forced to walk up another fairly steep hill after that too.  It was looking more and more like I wouldn't be able to finish the full loop.

I got near the LV Zoo and decided to keep going.  I was right around five miles at this point.  I quickly decided that it was best to just take the shortcut back to the parking area.  Even though the rest of the course isn't as difficult as the part I had come through, I knew it would take a lot of effort to finish.  I didn't want to attempt that for just a midweek run.

I was hoping I could get to the six mile point.  Rather that going through the creek again, I opted for pedestrian bridge.  I started trail one of the trails back to the parking area, but it involved more climbing.  I also knew the climbing wouldn't end until I was back at the start, so I had to walk after 5.6 miles.  On the walk back, I spotted two baby deer on the trail.  I then saw their mother nearby.  She was worried about the young ones, that is for sure.  They initially froze, but then ran back to her.  It was a cool site.

I ran as much as I was hoping to.  I just didn't complete my big goal of finishing the whole loop.  Trexler always seems to humble me.  I get exhausted and beat up like no other run does to me.  I almost felt like I had run a marathon.  When I walked most of the uphills last month, completing the loop wasn't too bad.  With more running today, it was brutal.

I'm not sure what I should do during the Quadzilla race.  I think I have to pick some hills to walk up and others to run up.  I plan on a few more runs at Trexler between now and then, but I still won't be that strong.  I'm just happy that I'll be able to finish it.  Next year when I'm much stronger will really be the time to run.

I don't know what my plan will be for tomorrow yet.  I was thinking of going to Trexler again.  I might opt for some other hills, like the Lehigh Gap Nature Center.  It will be hotter tomorrow, but still not too bad.  I might go run the trails at Lehigh University.  Some of that might depend on whether my shoes dry out after today's creek crossing.

5.6 miles - 1:08:12 (12:11 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment