Thursday, June 7, 2012

Good Group Run

While I didn't get the workout of last week's LVRR Group Run, tonight was still productive.  Dave, from the BCR came out and joined me.  More importantly, we had two new runners Kelley and Jeff.  I did a nice 5 miles.  Kelley and Dave ran more and Jeff did a little less.

We had to get started because there was a huge 5k going on too at the same time.  We started off going away from the 5k.  The pace was nice and comfortable early on.  We cruised around.  Jeff was sticking with us, but falling back slightly.  I had a feeling he'd have some trouble when we went up the giant hill by the Fish Hatchery.  He did and ended up walking it.  I slowed to wait for him, but he told me to go.  Dave and Kelley waited for all of us at the top of the hill.

Since I wanted to get a workout out of this, I decided to fly down the hill.  I also really attacked the other hill sections in the run.  I waited for the group for awhile.  I was running with Dave and Kelley, but I could see Jeff was slipping back.  I hung back and waited for him.  He was good until we got to the big hill on the backside.

Everyone waited up and we gathered at the covered bridge.  I nailed the last hill section and then Dave and Kelley catch up.  I stopped at the clubhouse to wait for Jeff, who was running and walking.  He ended his run there and I took off to try to catch Dave and Kelley.  It was some good speed added to the end of an otherwise easy run.

I never caught Dave and Kelley and somehow I had lost site of them.  I finished at 5 miles right at the clubhouse.  Jeff was waiting there, but Dave and Kelley were no where in site.  Eventually, they came back they had actually gone out further.

I tried to stick with Jeff, but he insisted on me letting him drop back during most of the run.  I don't want to leave people behind though because I want to encourage them to come back.  Hopefully he won't be discouraged.  I think Kelley had a good workout and I'm hoping she'll come again.  We need more people to show up on a regular basis.  I want to do whatever I can to get them coming back.

Most of the run was nice and easy.  I got some good work in though on the hills and trying to catch Dave and Kelley.  I'm putting in a lot of miles this week, so I didn't need a hard run.  I just wanted to keep people coming back.

The only frustrating thing about being a group run leader is never knowing who is going to show and what pace they want to run.  Some days it is an easy workout for me.  Other days it is a hard day.  I'm fine with either one.  I just wish it was consistent so I know how to set my training schedule.

I'm very excited for tomorrow.  I'm going to go to a dirt track race near Pottsville, so I'm going to run at Tuscarora State Park in Tamaqua beforehand.  They run the Schuykill League Cross Country meet there and Truskey Memorial race was my first trail race there in '99.  On Saturday, I'm getting up for the T-Rex group run at Trexler.  I'm hoping to do the whole 8.5 mile loop.

5 miles - 48:13 (9:39 pace) 

No comments:

Post a Comment