Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Doing a Little Walking

I haven't been feeling that great since my surgery, so I've been inactive.  It isn't as bad as the two previous times I've had this surgery, but it has been uncomfortable.  I'm not sure when I'll actually get back to running yet.

Today was a decent first step though.  Some of the BCR decided this afternoon to go for a run.  I opted to join them, but walk at the Plainfield Rail Trail.  I figured it was at least worth a shot.

They started off running and I brought my camera and took some pics.  It was kind of cool walking for once and looking at nature.  I got some pictures of a turkey vulture in a nearby tree.  I never would've noticed that while running.  I also had a squirrel with a nut.  There was some nice scenery.

I started off slow and had no plan on where to go.  I was a little sore, but not too bad.  I decided I'd try for a mile and a half.  When I got that far, I was still feeling good.  I kept going and made it a two mile walk.  With my slow pace and stopping for some picture taking, it took quite awhile.

I actually timed it perfectly.  The group came back from their run just as I was finishing up.  I decided to chat for a bit.  It was good just to get outside.  The next two days are going to be brutal, so even if I wanted to, I'm not sure I'd be out there exercising.

Walking without too much trouble was a very positive result, especially going as far as I did.  I have a month until the Quadzilla.  I won't lose too much fitness even if I don't run much between now and then.  The big thing is that I need to be comfortable enough to run/walk for nine miles.

I think I could run a bit now.  The problem I might have is with form.  I couldn't walk properly tonight, so I'm sure if I ran my form would be way off.  That could lead to some injuries.  There's no need to rush back.

The good thing is this showed that I should be able to do some hiking for fitness as I heal.  I'm hoping I can at least do some short running sessions to like hill repeats.  That will at least keep me strong for Quadzilla.  I'm healing better each day.  I just have to see where it takes me.  I'm really hoping I can be back to running a couple miles by this time next week.  We'll see what happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment