Saturday, June 23, 2012

One Step at a Time

After over a week of not being able to run, I was able to get a workout done today.  I knew I had to try something.  I was thinking that maybe I could run either after a decent warmup or by shortening my stride and running slow.  I needed to try something.  I was getting stir crazy.

I unsuccessfully attempted hills sprints last week.  When I ran the steps at Fisher Stadium before my surgery, I realized that it forced me into a slower turnover.  I tested the steps at my house and found that I could run up them without much discomfort.  So I headed to Lafayette to give steps a try.

I warmed up with a brief lap around the track.  After that, I planned on running up and down the steps 5 straight times and then resting and doing it all over again.  It wasn't going to be fast paced with recovery like last time I ran there, but I figured I could go slow and run continuous.

It is hard to really even call it running.  It was only slightly faster than a walk, but it was better than nothing and it certainly wound up being a quality workout.  The first rep went pretty well and I felt comfortable after not too long.  There was still some minor discomfort, but I barely noticed it. 

My pace was definitely slow.  It took me 37 seconds to get to the top.  Two weeks ago, my hard running was done around 28 seconds.  I slowly ran back down too.  By the end of the second rep, I was already starting to feel it.  I was overcompensating for my injury and could feel it with my right foot getting sore.  It was especially tough as I went around the tunnel in the stands.  After two reps, I was already pretty beat, but I kept going.

I had hoped for five reps, but it was just too tough.  The up and down was hard and it was blazing hot out too.  I managed to get to the fourth rep.  My quads were burning during the downhill of the third and fourth rep.  I guess that is good since I'm training for the Quadzilla.

After that first set was over, I walked a little to recover.  I also gulped down some water.  When I was ready to go, I embarked on the second set.  By now, I was starting to feel better and comfortable.  My form was still a little messy and my foot continued to bother me, but I improved some.  The short strides were definitely a help and as I loosened up and ran more, the sore area felt better.  It seems worse when I sit on it for a long time.  The second set was a lot like the first.  I felt good on the first couple, but exhausted in the last two.  I had to keep going and finish the workout though.

After I was done, I even did a short cool down run for about a tenth of a mile.  That was very slow, but I didn't feel bad there either.  I was warmed up.  I finished up with only a half mile of actually running, but it was still a very good workout.  I don't know if it was the long layoff or the workout was tougher than I gave it credit for, but I was beat afterward.  It was hard going up and down steps.  I'm hoping it isn't my new Crohn's medication that was making me sluggish.  It is some powerful stuff.

This was a great workout and I'm thrilled I was able to do something.  I'm also thrilled that I can work on an incline.  That will help keep me strong for Quadzilla.  Even if my workouts don't comprise of a big quantity of running at least they will be quality workouts.  Hopefully my body will get used to running after a few of these sessions and I can resume to normal.

I need to do some more stuff to supplement my training too.  When I'm healthy, I need to consistently run hill sprints and drills.  I also bough a pilates core workout tape that I'd like to start using.  I really need to eat healthier too.  I had a breathing device that the hospital gave me from my surgery in the winter.  I want to find it so that I can improve my breathing as well.  I want to make myself a more complete runner.

Dave put together another fun trail run at Lehigh for tomorrow.  I plan on going, but most likely will hike and take pictures.  I never know with myself though.  If I'm feeling good, I might go crazy and run some of it too.  At least if I can hike and run steps, I should be able to remain pretty strong for Quadzilla in less than three weeks.  I'm not worried about my time there.  I just want to finish it.  Today was a big help toward achieving that goal.

0.5 miles - 14:40 (29:21 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment