Monday, October 10, 2011

What a Difference a Week Makes

Last week, the weather was so cool and perfect for a speed session.  Today, it was a complete 180.  It was awful.  It was hot and very humid as I headed out around noon.  I obviously should've got there much earlier.

I headed over to the Palmer Bike Path a few miles behind Walmart.  I have biked there, but never ran this area.  The plan was to run a tempo run, rather than the regular weekly speed intervals.  Since I'm running hard on Thursdays, but not shooting for actual tempo pace, I decided to switch up the early weekday speed session.

I started off okay, although my legs didn't feel very good.  They were great last week.  I headed north on the path briefly and then turned around.  I felt like I had to go to the bathroom and as I passed it I should've stopped.  I tried going just a few minutes earlier with no success.  I pressed on.

After a fast mile warmup, I started trying hit my target pace.  It was tough in the heat.  The real problem though was that I really had to go to the bathroom.  I ended up stopping less than .4 miles from the start of the tempo portion.  I walked back to the parking lot and used the restroom.  I then decided rather than trying to run hard, I'd just make it an easy day.

Getting back into the run wasn't too bad early on.  I passed a rock section that was very cool when combined with the Bushkill Creek on the other side of the path.  Being comfortable was only temporary though.  I soon headed into the sun and it started to get to me.  I even ran without a shirt the whole time too. 

There were quite a few people out on the path.  As I caught up to some, I realized I was already at the end of the trail.  It was disappointing because I thought it went farther down the road.  It was only about a mile and a half back to the start. 

I just kept focusing on short segments.  The heat was really destroying me.  Although I knew I'd finish, I was wondering how as I hit the three and a half mile mark.  The humidity was just brutal.  I'd run in worse conditions, but that was a few months ago.  This was terrible.  I concentrated on my form for awhile, but even that eventually fell off.

I picked it up a little in the final quarter mile.  It was just enough to complete the workout in under a 9 minute pace.  It was supposed to be an easy run, but the weather sure didn't make it easy.  I definitely need to get up earlier for key workouts.  Of course I didn't sleep well again or I might've.

Since I did the easy run today, I think I'll try the tempo run tomorrow.  I need to get up in the morning for the six miler.  It'll be cooler tomorrow too I guess.  I think I'll probably head to the Wilson Bike Path this time.  Even if I don't hit my times, I need to run at a fairly hard pace.

5 miles - 44:44 (8:57 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment