Thursday, October 20, 2011

Missing Time

Things had been going well for me with running until the last week.  I ran with the LVRR group tonight, but it was my first run since Friday.  That's due to a number of circumstances.  My health has been the primary problem of late.  I seem to be getting worse and worse after the three hard weeks of training I put in.

I got up for my run last Saturday after little sleep.  My legs were sore, I was tired and it was windy.  I just hate running in the wind, especially for a long run.  As I sat at a stoplight, I asked myself why I was running with so many negative thoughts in my head.  I just decided it was a good time to skip a run.  I'm already pretty well trained anyway.

Monday was windy again and I was scheduled for speedwork.  I knew I wouldn't be able to hit my marks, so I decided I'd switch it up with Tuesday's easy workout.  The problem was that I was cat sitting again in the afternoon and I cramped up after a nap.  Once I cramp, my leg gets really sore and it is difficult to run for about 24 hours.  I thought about running in the evening, but by the time I looked outside, I realized it was getting too dark, so I skipped that day.

I should've run Tuesday morning.  I felt fine and in fact I usually do in the morning.  After eating soup for lunch though, I developed some bad heartburn.  I was having trouble breathing, it was so bad.  I skipped running entirely that day too.  Wednesday was my worst day yet.  I woke up with a mild stomach ache and it just got worse throughout the day.  It was so bad, that I couldn't even make it to the clubhouse to pickup the key.

Thankfully, I got a lot of sleep on Wednesday and into Thursday.  I was well rested for the group run.  There were only four of us, including the fast guy (I did get the clubhouse key then).  It was a bit chilly and windy.  I wasn't too up for a run, so I just ran at a slow pace with everyone else.

Just as frustrating was the fact that I couldn't get my GPS to work.  It was at full bars, but wouldn't start timing.  I guess the clouds created a problem.  My legs felt very fresh during the run.  I didn't seem to have a lot of energy and couldn't wait to get done actually.  The worst part though was that I was hurting and needed to use the bathroom.  I didn't want to though.  We went to the Fish Hatchery and back and then to the Robin Hood Bridge and back.  That's probably around 5 miles total.

I'm glad I'm rested for Saturday's night trail race in Reading.  I regret that I didn't get to run and try out my head lamp, but oh well.  I guess I'll learn on the fly.  I'm hoping I'll feel good and that it can be fun.  This week has basically been a taper.  I'm definitely ready for the race.

With my health seeming to get worse, I'm leaning towards having surgery early and skipping the Run for the Diamonds.  I'm starting to look forward to surgery more than the race and I think that is a sign to give up on the race.  The pain is just becoming too much and I think my training is now starting to cause harm too.  If I skip the race, I'll be able to get back to running sooner and start preparing for the spring marathon.  It's a decision I'll likely make soon.

NO DISTANCE OR TIME

No comments:

Post a Comment