Tuesday, October 4, 2011

New Neighborhood Route

I had some trouble getting started on my run today.  I just really dislike easy days.  They seem like such a waste and they're hard to focus on.  Eventually I got out and ran the easy 5 miler though.

I didn't feel like going far, so I just ran in the other neighborhood.  I'm tired of the same old route, so I decided to change that up.  I ran in some of the new and old sections that I don't typically run in.  That definitely helped, but I didn't enjoy the run too much.  It was just nice not really knowing where I'd actually run to next since I had no set route.  I still knew how long I had though.

I went very easy and very slow throughout most of the run.  I didn't focus on form, so I was a bit sloppy.  My lower back got sore toward the end.  I should've tried to be smooth.

When I hit the out and back at the end of the run it was brutal.  The temperatures were cool, but what made it much worse was the head wind.  It was comfortable with no wind, but freezing when it was blowing in my face.  The only thing that got me through that stretch was knowing that it would be pleasant on the way back.

In that final mile, I finally focused on form.  I didn't run harder, but was much smoother.  My miles were typically around a 9:15, but the final one was 8:27.  I definitely need to keep solid form even on easy runs.  Otherwise, they feel much harder than they should.

I ate a heavy fast food lunch and even four hours later, I still didn't feel good.  I wouldn't have ate like that if I had an important workout.  I still need to eat better though.

I definitely need to find something to make easy days better.  They just seem so useless and such a hassle.  I need to find better places to run them at.  I probably need to stick to more trails when I don't really feel like running.

Tomorrow is a progression run with the last 8 minutes hard and uphill if possible.  I have a little more time tomorrow and think I might head to Reading this time.  I certainly need to get to Mount Penn at some point.

5 miles - 45:26 (9:06 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment