Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tough Group Run

This evening was another very tough group run.  I pushed myself more than I have in awhile.  Initially, it didn't look like it would be a fast paced day.  Two of the slower regulars showed up and that was it.  We were chatting a lot though, so we didn't head out right away.  The fast guy from last week then showed.

When I first got there, there was a group of about 10 women that I never saw before waiting around.  I was thinking that it was odd to get that many new runners.  It turns out they were there for the upcoming women's 5K.  They had a group run of about 30 women show up.

We decided to run the full loop of the Parkway.  I never did that before.  We started off heading east and made sure to beat all the women to the Robin Hood Bridge.  The first mile wasn't too fast as it took my legs some time to get warmed up.  I was definitely pushing it though.

It was cool and cloudy and that made for a nice and fast pace.  The second mile was much faster.  I was cruising up and down the hills early on.  The fast guy seemed to have a little more trouble with those than me.  He could definitely blow by me on the straight stretches if he wanted though. 

As we hit the other side of the creek, we started to pass some of the women.  That naturally picked my pace up.  When we hit three miles, I told the guy that I didn't think I could keep the pace up and I'd have to slow a bit.  I really didn't slow much though. 

We ran along the north side of the creek and to the Fish Hatchery.  I'd never actually run that section before.  Little did I know, that we were about to encountered the steepest hill of the whole run.  Knowing that there were a few more decent size hills coming, I struggled up this one and saved some energy.  Of course, I flew down it though.  I always do.  I love going downhill.  That will definitely help me in Berwick.

We finally headed back, still at a good clip.  I was glad we weren't too far from the clubhouse.  I was surprised that my legs actually started to feel better.  They weren't that great early on, but really came around in the final couple miles.  I still conserved a bit for the hills to come.

The final two sets of hills weren't that bad.  They are a little steep, but actually very short compared to the one at the Fish Hatchery.  I'll have to run that one again.  That was fun.  I probably saved my legs more than I had to.  I could've pushed the pace even more in the final two miles.  I did start flying after the last downhill was over.  At that point, there was only about a half mile or less to go though.  I could've definitely went earlier and ran even faster.  I was still happy with my pace though.  It was certainly a good workout that challenged me.

By the time the run ended, it was really starting to get dark.  Pretty soon we'll have to start using headlamps for the run.  I'll have to remember to bring mine next week.  I don't think it would be too bad running there at night.  The terrain does vary a little though.  At times, it can even be frustrating while running in the light.  It seems like my feet lose their rhythm every so often.

Today was great and I'm glad I didn't run twice.  As long as this continues to be a hard workout for me, it can take the place of my tempo run.  It wasn't at my planned tempo pace, but considering the hills on this course, it was pretty fast. 

Tomorrow is an easy 4 miler with some hill sprints.  To try to save my legs, I'll probably go to Nockamixon and run.  I've been meaning to try the trails for awhile now.  I don't think they are too hilly either.  My dad is off and might boat too while I run.  Either a dip in the lake or another ice bath can hopefully help my legs recover.  They've taken a beating over the last three weeks.

6.12 - 47:18 (7:44 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment