Friday, October 14, 2011

A Little Better Easy Day

Today was another easy day.  As I've said before, I really don't enjoy these.  They are hard for me to focus.  I just usually can't wait until they are over.

This 5 miler on the Plainfield Rail Trail wasn't the most enjoyable, but it was better than most of my easy runs.  One of the main reasons for this is because I ran without looking at my watch as much as usual.  I peak at it way too often.

I started off by not even checking my watch until I hit .42 miles.  That's much longer than usual.  I looked at it a little more after that, but I still tried to just enjoy the run.  I just focused on getting to the halfway point.  I know that once I get there, I'll have to run the rest of the way back or at least walk it.  I sure I don't want to walk and take longer.

I turned around and decided to put my watch in my pocket.  That way I really wouldn't look at it.  I had passed a few walkers on the way out.  I decided that on the way back, I'd look at my watch after I passed this one lady.  She turned around too, so I waited a little longer to look at the watch.  It was about a mile back at that point.

I then pulled my watch out of my pocket and then looked at it more frequently.  I don't mind looking at it often in the final mile.  I'm close enough to the finish then.  My left ankle was bothering me, so I tried switching sides of the trail.  That seemed to help a little.

I focused on form throughout most of the run.  I didn't run harder, but my pace really picked up towards the end.  It was pretty fast.  The weather was a bit helpful from that aspect too.  It rained earlier and was quite windy.  It was nice and cool when there was a breeze, but it was still pretty humid when it wasn't.

I'll finish up this relatively easy week with a 10 mile run.  Hopefully I'll get some sleep and be able to run with the Breakfast Runners Club for a change.  They are running at Riverview Park.  It should be a good day regardless.

5 miles - 42:36 (8:31 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment