Thursday, October 13, 2011

Easing Back

It wasn't exactly a planned very easy week, but things are falling that way now.  I wasn't able to get out for my run on Wednesday and the group run this evening wasn't too difficult.  The plan on Wednesday changed to run at night to practice for my upcoming night race.  Health problems caused me to skip it though.  It was actually good because my body could use the rest after 3 tough weeks.

It was cloudy and drizzling when the group run started tonight.  There were only four of us, including three of us who are actually group run leaders.  I was the fastest one, so I knew the pace wouldn't be too hard.  I was kind of glad because I really didn't feel like pushing myself.

This time, we started at the clubhouse and ran west to Fish Hatchery and then looped to the Robin Hood Bridge and back.  The pace was nice and comfortable early on.  The other group leader that I run with was running right near maximum effort, so it was a good workout for him.

It actually seemed harder for me than it should've been.  I'm not sure why.  I think some of it might've been the soft footing of the wet trail.  My feet seemed to sink into the stone. 

I'm finding that I really love the big hill by the Fish Hatchery.  It wasn't too long, but it sure is steep.  I wanted to get a good workout on it, so I did go pretty hard up and down it.  I then waited for my training partner.  He stayed pretty close.

He did have to slow thanks to a side stitch shortly before the clubhouse.  I waited for him and eventually he told me to go ahead when we reached the clubhouse.  I couldn't finish the loop much faster at that point though.  I was in a groove and actually felt like I was working fairly hard.  Of course I could've gone faster, but there wasn't much point by then.  I was still getting a good workout.  I finished up with five miles, just past the clubhouse.

I'm just going to stick with the planned workouts for the rest of the week.  I'll take this easy week and hope it sets me up well for the race next weekend.  There's no need to overdo it.  My training is developing nicely at this point anyway.

I have an easy 5 miler tomorrow.  It'll likely be close by since I have to cat sit again tomorrow (like I did today).  Saturday's long run drops back to 10 miles.  Hopefully that will be with the Breakfast Club Runners.

5 miles - 44:15 (8:51 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment