Thursday, May 6, 2010

Still Feeling Terrible

Today was an easy 4 mile run. It wasn't too easy as I just feel awful right now. I guess it is my allergies. It sure is making training very hard during this taper. I just started taking Claritin this evening. Hopefully, that'll help things out.

I didn't get up to run early as I had hoped. I decided that a more reasonable run after work was a better option. I was relatively cool and comfortable as I started. I ran a short out and back along Kelly Drive and then ran the Schuykill Banks loop for the final three miles.

Starting off was brutal. There was a strong headwind and it was very frustrating. Winds like that always cause me to push too hard as well. It was nice coming back to Boathouse Row though. I kept what felt like an easy pace, but it was actually pretty fast.

I need to stop running so fast on easy days. I just get nice and comfortable and cruise along. These short runs are actually quite frustrating because it takes me a mile or two to really warm up. By the time I hit my groove, the run is about half over.

I did pass a few slower runners, but luckily didn't push myself. One faster run went by during the loop and I let him go. I need more discipline like that. Going into the headwind again on the way back was very difficult. Combine that with the short hill and I had a struggle on my hands. I survived though and finished a solid run.

Hopefully my health will improve in the next week. Right now, it's very difficult to just get through even the simplest runs. I'm still very confident in my training though and my ability to run well at next week's marathon.

Tomorrow is a long run with 2 X 4 miles at marathon pace with an easy mile before and after and a 5 minute active recovery sandwiched in between. I'm definitely going to head out early in the morning and try to beat any heat that might be hanging around. I'll likely just run this on Kelly Drive.

4 miles - 29:48 (7:27 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment