Monday, May 10, 2010

Low Key Recovery

The run this morning was a low key easy 7 mile recovery. It was a simple out and back on Kelly Drive. Following the run, were 6 X 10 second hill sprint. I am now just six days away from my second marathon.

Once again, what a difference a week makes in terms of weather. Last week was muggy and hot. This week it is cold and windy. The windy was actually half as strong as yesterday, but still a major pain in the butt. I went with a light long sleeve tech shirt rather than short sleeves. That was a good call as the wind made conditions tough, especially early on.

The temperature was barely in the 50s, even at 10:30 AM. The wind was very brutal as I ran along boathouse row. It was so bad that my eyes actually watered, even with the protection of sunglasses. At times, the wind gusted like crazy. Other times, it was cooling and not too bad. Most of the way out was into a headwind though. I was really bothered early on. I just kept battling though and eventually made it to the turnaround point.

The first mile was right around 8 minutes. After that, I ran faster than I would've liked. I ran what felt very slow and even worked on slowing myself down, but I still ended up running around 7:30-7:50 per mile. I'd really like to be around 8 minutes. I struggle to run that slow though. The extra rest of the last week has allowed my legs to bounce back and feel very strong. A few times, I passed cute girls and definitely ran too fast at those points. I was still too quick at other times though. My legs weren't sore or anything at least.

It was great to finish up. The wind did frustrate me. I was constantly blowing my nose and wiping my face in my shirt. After I got into a groove though, it was very relaxing and stress free, just as I had hoped.

I've still run on hills lately, but haven't done hill sprints in awhile. It felt kind of weird. I ran the hill sprints for 10 seconds, rather than the usual 8 seconds. That seemed a bit harder, although I think a big reason for that was the path curving at the end. It was good to get a couple sprints in to finish the workout.

My body feels great and I'm so ready for Sunday. You just never know what will happen in a marathon, but I am very confident right now. I really think I can run it in Boston qualifying time. I just have to run smart and fuel up properly. I have four more runs to go before the race. Tomorrow's is the longest remaining and last speedwork session. I can't wait. I work at noon, so I'll be running in the AM.

7 miles - 54:22 (7:46 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment