Friday, May 7, 2010

Marathon Paced Run

Today was a marathon paced run. It started and ended with 1 mile easy. It continued with 2 X 4 miles at marathon pace with a 5 minute active recovery in between. The run ended up being a successful 11.2 miles.

The weather was actually perfect for a change. It was in the 50s and there was a slight breeze going both directions. It was enough to be cooling, but not disruptive. I ended up getting early for once. It was good to get the run out of the way before work.

I started off feeling strong and well rested for a change. I guess that's due to not running on tired legs. That's what usually happens when I run after work. I ate some GU Chomps beforehand and had a lot of energy too.

I started at Lloyd Hall and ran out along West River Drive. The first faster mile was actually a bit too fast. It was under 7 minutes. All my marathon paced miles were successfully under my goal pace of 7:15. I was pretty consistent through the remainder of the first 4 miles.

As I was nearly finishing up my first interval, someone stopped me to ask about the regatta. That was frustrating because it broke my rhythm. I picked up the pace quite a bit to finish off the interval. I stayed on West River Drive to avoid the traffic from the regatta.

The 5 minute recovery seemed so short. Time just flew by. My legs started losing it a bit around the first half mile of the second interval. I just kept focusing on getting through the next mile though. I tried to keep my form pretty sharp as well.

The intervals were great. Time flew by and I didn't even notice my surroundings much. I was so focused and in tune with my running. That happens on these key speed sessions. The pace was perfect. It was challenging enough to keep me working hard, but not overly taxing. It gives me confidence heading into my final week of training.

My body wasn't too sore afterward. I had an 8 hour shift in work though and my back was killing me by the end. It doesn't actually hurt, it is just stiff. Standing and walking don't help, only sitting does. I definitely need to strengthen a lot of areas during my summer training. My body is drained after all this running and working.

I am hoping that I can get over this cold/allergies by the race. I felt better after taking some claritin, but I still don't feel great. I'm coughing quite a bit and my nose is running at work. At least I have a week to recover.

Tomorrow is most likely an off day. I could run a couple miles and get to 40 for the week, but I doubt I will. Rest is really more important. Sunday is a long 13 mile run easy. That will be my final long run before the marathon. It'll be great to be finished.

11.20 miles - 1:23:05 (7:25 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment