Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Heat Causing Problems

Well it's been awhile since I wrote on here. It isn't that I haven't run, but the brutal heat of the last few days has cut some workouts short and left me frustrated. When I last wrote, I was planning a 4 mile Saturday run. Unfortunately, my watch couldn't pick up a satellite signal. I just skipped the short run, figuring rest would do me well.

Sunday was supposed to be a very key run. After working registration at the Broad Street Run expo, I headed to work for a few hours. I ended up drinking an energy drink and was up all night. I got about 3 hours of sleep before getting up at 6 AM to man a water station.

It was pretty hot during the race, but actually the conditions weren't too bad yet. After the race, I decided on a nap. Around 5 PM, I planned on heading out and doing my 16 mile run. It was going to be at marathon pace + 20/30 seconds. The temperature actually rose to 87 degrees at that point. That was probably well over 20 degrees higher than a week ago.

I headed out on Kelly Drive anyways. Adding to the frustration was that there was another high school regatta going on. They happen all spring and are so frustrating because every one on the paths are so ignorant. This lady walked very close to a goose and spooked. It flew away and almost hit a passing biker.

As I got about 2 miles out, it became obvious that I wasn't going to finish the run. It was simply too hot and humid. I either had to scrap the run around 4 miles and make it my easy day, or just go for it. I elected to stop the run and go home.

I went to my parents house on Sunday night. On Monday, I planned to give that 16 miler another shot. I had a couple loops planned out. The first was only 5 miles, but the second was 8 miles. It rained early in the morning, but that was gone by the time I started my run. I figured that it would be nice and cool after the shower. Instead, it was still brutally hot and humid.

I flew at the start, I guess it was downhill. I felt pretty good, but then had the urge to go to the bathroom. I had no luck finding one though, so I pressed on. There were some hills on this route, but the course wasn't too bad. It was the heat that was getting to me. I couldn't believe how much I was sweating. I finally made it home. I tried going to the bathroom, but had no success. I realized I was dizzy and soaked in sweat too. I drank some Gatorade, but decided it wasn't worth going back out to run. It was just too hot. During the taper period, I'd rather shorten a run than press on.

I was obviously disappointed because I didn't complete my long run. Tuesday brought less humidity. I had a ladder interval session planned. I decided that I need a relatively long multiple loop course where I could come back to my car for Gatorade every 2 miles or so. I ended up at Lehigh's Goodman Campus. I ran through the parking lot.

In addition to the warmer weather, I bough a lightweight singlet on Monday. Wearing that was a big help. The temperature was still hot around 10 AM, but the biggest problem was the wind. It was very strong in one direction and difficult to run against. Nevertheless, I got going.

The first couple miles were a little slow. I had to stop just before the speed session, so I could use the restroom. I think I used it three times during this run. It was very frustrating and has actually been a problem lately. I haven't eaten the greatest foods lately, so that is likely an issue.

The longest interval in this run is 3 minutes. Sure enough, as I hit the 3 minute session, I was running straight into a headwind. I kept battling though and I didn't feel great or terrible either. I didn't realize that the workout was supposed to end with the second 3 minute repeat. I actually ran a 2 minute and then 1 minute one afterward. That added a little extra, but not too much. After not getting my long run in, I definitely could handle another couple minutes.

It wasn't the prettiest or smoothest speed session, but I got the job done. Conditions could obviously be better. They aren't always going to be perfect though. My allergies are really bothering me right now. I thought I might even be getting sick after yesterday's run. I felt better this morning, although still not great.

Today's run was a scheduled moderate paced 6 miler. I planned to wake up early. Right before I was supposed to get up, my right calf cramped and tightened up. It was still very stiff when I woke a couple hours later. To put less stress on it and get some shade, I decided to run on Forbidden Drive.

Even with the shade, I went without a shirt. That was a good choice because it was still hot and fairly humid. Not as bad as earlier in the week, but not great either. I just wish I had something with me to wipe away the sweat.

I headed out northbound on the drive. The plan was to just do an out and back. I felt a little slow early on. My legs then started to kick in and I got into a nice pace. The miles seemed to click off very slowly. I hit the end of the path before the 2.5 mile point. It was frustrating knowing a still had quite a bit of running to do. Again, I felt like I needed to use the bathroom. It never got too bad though, so I just ran on. The hills aren't much, but they were beating me up in the heat. I truly miss the cooler weather.

I got to Valley Green and still had over a mile to go. Most of it was uphill before turning around. I only went south for half a mile, but it seemed much longer. It was a relief to turn around and even better to finish the run. I actually ended up running a progression run pace, until the last mile. It was a little tough without great weather conditions, but the run was much better.

I close at work tonight and open up tomorrow. I'm going to try to squeeze my run in very early in the morning. It is only supposed to be 4 miles anyways. I will probably just head to Kelly Drive. I need to start getting more of a set running schedule. I need to run early in the morning. I can rest after my runs on most days, if needed. I look forward to seeing how tomorrow will work out.

Sunday

4 miles - 32:10 (8:03 pace)

Monday

5 miles - 37:41 (7:32 pace)

Tuesday

8.6 miles - 1:06:51 (7:47 pace)

Wednesday

6 miles - 43:56 (7:19 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment