Sunday, September 27, 2009

Why Am I Alone?

On most Sunday mornings, I head out the door on the bike for an hour ride. Even if I'm riding at a decent pace, I'm usually blown away by cyclist after cyclist. So where were they on this day?

Sure, it was raining pretty hard and it was still early in the morning. Regardless of the treacherous conditions, I expected encounter more than 2 cyclists on my 10 mile journey. I only saw two of them the entire time and both were riding the opposition direction. Not one passed me the whole time.

The number of runners out was greatly diminished when compared to normal too, but I at least came across 10-15 of those in my journey. Why were the cyclist afraid to come out? Are they not that dedicated in their training?

I certainly don't consider myself a cyclist. I'm slow, not efficient on the bike and don't know what I'm doing. Today, I was more of a cyclist though than all those usual cyclist who were at home comfortably in their beds.

I probably looked goofy riding along with my cheap jacket and with fogged up sunglasses that I wore because I don't have cycling glasses. With no one there to see it though, I guess it didn't really matter.

I actually felt smooth and very efficient. I tried using some of the form that I learned about in the book that I read. It might've helped me be more aerodynamic, but it wasn't very comfortable. I had a solid ride though. Certainly didn't break and time records, but I got a nice workout in. Most importantly, I toughed it out when others didn't.

This week will be my usual week of running with the hill sprints removed on Thursday. I'm still slightly sore from yesterday's 15+ mile run, but I should be well recovered by tomorrow. I am very eager to test myself in Saturday's half marathon. Unlike in shorter races, I have more time to recover if I make any mistakes in that one. I really love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment