Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Changing Paces

Today was a 6 mile run out along Kelly Drive and back. I went to just past the Strawberry Mansion Bridge before turning around. It was supposed to be easy, but of course that's hard for me.

I was very worn down before and during this run and really should've backed off. The usual soreness in the first half mile to a mile never went away. I didn't rest on Monday, as I walked a lot. Now I'm really paying for it. I definitely to get more rest on the usual rest on Friday.

Another sign that I am worn out, is how late I awoke. The alarm went off at 5:30, but I didn't get out of bed until 6:20. I didn't push the pace hard and tried to take it easy. The problem that arose came from running so late. There were a lot of runners out at that time and I ended up racing with a few of them.

Early on, someone went by me and I let him go. After awhile though, I got competitive. Every time that I was running by someone, I'd immediately pick up the pace after going by. This usually breaks them, if they have any desire to run harder.

I was really struggling on the way back and thought of quitting. I then talked myself into running short segments. This worked, but I ended up running hard through each segment. My legs still felt very tired too. I really pushed it to get by this guy just before the gravel path ended.

After that, I came across two people that were actually turning around just after I passed them. Even though they weren't running as far, I still felt the need to try to break them. I thought I did, but then noticed one continued to come up on me as I got through Boathouse Row. I did hold him at bay, but worked harder than I should've.

I eased up the hill, but then finished hard once again, passing another female. I really shouldn't have run so hard. It did feel good, but I need to back off now.

Tomorrow is an easy 3 mile run. To make sure it is easy, I'm going to run the less crowded West River Drive. The competition is nice on Kelly Drive, but I need to learn to be more patient with it. I need to give my body a break.

6 Miles - 48:15 (8:03 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment