Wednesday, September 30, 2009

First Missed Run

Well today I skipped my first run since my marathon training began at the end of July. I still have lingering soreness in my groin and hamstring and thought the rest would be a big help with the half marathon coming this weekend. Both occurred on my right side and doing hill sprints up a curved hill to the right probably didn't help the injuries. I was originally planning on an eight mile run today, but wisely backed off. It's certainly not the end of the world.

I could've battled through these injuries, but at this point, I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's kind of ironic because after reading a book where the author commented that hill sprints help prevent injuries, I decided to mix those into my routine. I probably did too many though and now I'm injured and have missed my first day. I never really planned on not missing any days, but I had a nice streak going. I also don't mind missing days to rest a sore body. It's missing days because of laziness (as I have done in the past) that bothers me.

Tomorrow, I'm going to take it easy with a flat four mile run. Hopefully skipping the long run today will act as a taper before the half marathon. We'll see how I feel after that race. I might take it easy again next week too. Getting these injuries under control before my most intense training period is going to be a big key.

The good news is that at least the injuries haven't bothered me while running. I should be able to complete the half marathon. Hopefully, it won't add too much additional stress. I still need to find ways to do some hill work or more runs with hills anyways. Even though the marathon course is flat, I want to be stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment