Monday, August 24, 2009

Full of Air

Yesterday was the weekly hour long bike ride. This time, I actually remembered to fill my tires with air. It made for a much better ride. I do need to adjust my seat even higher though. I rode along West River Drive (since it's closed) and back. I added in the Schuykill Banks loop as well.

The ride was outstanding. I got into a nice groove and rode a consistent pace the whole time out. Of course, I still had rider after rider blow by me. What bothers me most about that is that it's all types of riders. Some of the ones with their fancy gear are often chatting it up and they look like they're on an easy ride. An old guy that didn't look like a rider blew by me too. Luckily, I didn't get passed by any families with small children. At least I'm not that slow.

I really need to learn how to ride properly. I'm getting my good bike back this week and that'll be a big boost. I still need to improve my technique though. I'm pretty good and consistent on flats, but I just don't have a feel on when to change gears and go up and down hills. Obviously, it's too late once you're on the hill and that's often when I get stuck.

I'm hoping to get to the library today to pick up some books on running. I definitely need to find a cycling one as well to get some tips. I'm not looking to be a serious rider, but I want to know what some of the basic things that I'm doing wrong are and how I can improve upon them.

Since my workouts seem fairly easy thus far and I have all this free time, I'm considering adding a short and relatively easy half hour or so ride in the evenings too. I think I'd only do it twice a week at best. It would just be something to build up strength and endurance without stress being put on my legs.

This week is actually a week where I cut back. Tomorrow will be a three mile run to open the week. Following that is a 7 mile run at the conclusion of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment