Saturday, August 22, 2009

Double Digits


Today was my long run for the week. I ran 10 miles. It was the first time I ran double digit miles since 2000. That feels very good, although pretty sore right now.

It was certainly a very eventful run. First off, I didn't feel good on Thursday night so I slept a lot that night and on into Friday. That gave me trouble when it came to sleeping last night. Add on to that that we had thunderstorms for over 2 hours and I was up most of the night. I set my alarm back another hour, but still only slept 5 hours at best.

My biggest worry was that the storms would continue. They are supposed to be off and on throughout today. When I woke, it was wet, but not rainy so I headed on out the door.

I decided to do the loop plus about a mile and a half extension. It was only a slight drizzle, but there was still plenty of rain coming off the trees. Initially, I was unsure whether to go with old shoes or new shoes for this long run, but the rain made that decision easy. I stuck with the old shoes.

It really is amazing the difference in shoes. These felt really loose and like they had no support. At the end, my feet were sore and I had blisters. I think it'll be the last day in these shoes, unless I do some trail runs.

I started the run off quite fast. Through the first three miles, I was running fairly close to my 5K pace. I knew I had to slow a little. I ran with a hat on, but quickly tied it to my shorts because it was making me hotter.

I ran the loop the opposite way this time. I really don't like the West River Drive portion. A lot it looks the same with fewer distinctive marks, especially around Falls Bridge. I don't feel like I ever know where I am when I'm on that. So I decided to knock that part out first. I actually ran fairly hard once I got near the bridge.

During the second half of the run, the rain really started to pick up. That's just the way I like it. I've always loved running in the rain. It was just sort of a tough guy kind of thing and it causes me to run better. I'm like, "you are out here in these horrible conditions. Might as well go hard. You are already proving you are tough. Take it to another level" I did throw the hat back on to keep the water out of my eyes during the heavier rain.

I might've went too hard during this run. I was kind of hoping I could do it in an 8 minute pace. That was really a stupid idea. I rotated fast pace and slower pace within the run. I really like doing that and it should prepare me for the big races.

As I got near the final two miles (by the crew stands) a guy passed me. It actually worked out perfectly. He was going faster than me, but not by too much. I picked up the pace and worked hard to stay with him. I was able to do so for about a full mile and a half. That was a great challenge and something I need a little more of.

I finally lost it in the last half mile. I had nothing left and my legs died. Two people really blew by me, although I suspect they were on a short run because of their speed. I still had a kick at the end though so I managed to sprint hard and pass another guy.

One of the nice things about the long runs, is that you really get time to think about things and especially how you are running. I notice that I'm working too hard with my right side. That shoe has worn out a lot more and my right arm often gets tired on long runs. I need to do more with my left side, not just drag myself along.

I'd be lying if I said I was happy with my speed right now. I just still struggle to accept that I'm nowhere near the runner I used to be. I know he's in there somewhere though. The thing is that I can't undo 9 years of no running and almost complete inactivity within a couple months. I know that, but I still can't accept that. Maybe it's a good thing and it'll keep pushing me on.

The guy at the end of the run showed me what I'm capable of. If I pushed like that too often though, I'd probably get injured. I need to find a nice balance. I'm really glad I haven't joined a running club yet. That'll help me get to the next level and beyond, but realistically I'm not ready for it. I need to take this one step at a time.

I feel like I should be running more, since I have the energy and the free time right now. I guess I'll just keep taking it easy. While this marathon is a few month process, I plan on running for years to come now, so I have plenty of time to catch up later and run faster times. Even though the progress isn't as fast as I'd like, I've still come a long way in last then a few months. I remember back in the winter, I tried to run home from church one day. I was burned out and quit after about half a mile. Now, I'm doing ten miles without trouble. I have to appreciate that more.

Yesterday, I signed up for the Lancaster Half Marathon. I'm really looking forward to running through Amish country. The downside is that all these races can get expensive and I'm not exactly rolling in money now.

I put up my running ladder of all my training runs on my bedroom wall. I've come pretty far, but I sure have a long way to go until the marathon. It's already been such a rewarding process though.

Tomorrow, will be a day of cross training. I'll hop on the bike for an hour. I have to remember to put some air in my tires this time before heading out this time.

83:16 ( 8:20 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment