Thursday, June 2, 2016

Promised Land Loop

It has been HOT and HUMID all week.  No surprise then that I haven't run.  I decided I should get out there before leaving for Colorado.  I want to go to the Catskills, but couldn't muster the energy to drive there.  I looked at new places, but all were too far.  I decided on a place I've been to, but not often, Promised Land State Park

It was a little hot, but much better up in the Poconos.  I didn't have any chafing cream and wound up not needing it.  My shorts and sleeveless shirt were wet by the end, but that was expected.  At least they have a beach there, where I dipped my legs afterward.

I parked in the main lot, as I've done before.  I decided that I want to run across the road.  I wasn't thinking of much more than 3 miles at this point.  I got a bit lost coming up to the place too.

I started off by crossing the road.  I was looking for the Bear Pen Hollow Trail.  The first trail was all stone.  That was frustrating.  I then found the Bear Pen Hollow Trail.  That had some cool parts, like an evergreen section.

However, most of this trail sucked, like many of the trails I've been on.  It was a doubletrack, made for snowmobiling.  The grass was quite high and I worried about ticks.  I continued along.

I then turned off to the Lower Lake Trail.  This said it went through the Rhododendron Area.  I thought they might be in bloom.  More accurate would be the Fern Area.  I kept wondering when I'd see any.

I eventually just came to the road and camping around.  Turns out when I looked at the map, I was looking at a no hunting area.  The Rhododendron Area was merely a name of the campground.  I passed a few more campgrounds on the paved road.  I had to suddenly go to the bathroom bad.  Luckily, I had run by one a minute earlier.  I turned and headed back.

After a brief stop, it was back on the pavement.  After going around the lake, I got to the Village Trail.  By now, I was at mile 4 or so.  I took this trail for a bit.  This was another hot and boring woods road.

I then turned on to the Bald Eagle Trail.  This was more of the same.  When I looked off into the woods, it looked pretty.  However, I was following, wide, flat grass.  At least it was fast.

I got to the road and crossed over.  There was a Rhododendron Trail now.  I thought maybe I'd have more luck seeing the plants there.  It was just more ferns though.  Of course it was more tall grass and woods road too.  I continued to be disappointed.  I wanted some singletrack.

At least I got done kind of quickly.  I think I pulled a tick off of me at one point.  I finally came to a little bridge and then was back at my car.  I was done with 6 miles.

It wasn't a good day, but I was done.  It was more frustrating trails at this part.  It is a shame because the park is really nice.  I just wish it had singletrack.  I doubt I'll ever come back here.

Tomorrow, I may or may not run.  I'd like to get to the Catskills, but I doubt it.  More likely if I do run, it will be in Jim Thorpe.  Not sure if I'll run on Saturday, but I plan on leaving for Colorado then.

6.18 miles - 1:12:14 (11:41 pace) 204 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment