Friday, June 24, 2016

Back in PA

I got back home on Tuesday.  I haven't had a desire to run since then.  My lack of interest in running is continuing I guess.  All I want to do is run new trails.  However, the weather was nice, so I thought I'd head out today.

It was super comfortable sitting around, but a little hot running.  Mostly, that was because I worked a bit hard at the end.  I wore shorts and a tank top.  At least I can still run with some type of shirt on.  That won't last much longer.

I headed to Mauck Chunk Lake in Jim Thorpe.  I wanted to run and also check to see if any of the flowers were in bloom (they weren't).  I started at the lake and headed down the Switchback Trail.  Even without flowers, it is green tunnel of beauty.  It is one flat, stone trail I can enjoy.  If it was closer, I'd put in more miles there.

It was a bit over a mile until the Fireline Trail.  Eventually, I got to that and the fun started.  I ran for a bit, but didn't want to force it.  Once my breathing was quite labored, I hiked uphill.  This seemed a little tough.  Maybe it was steeper than some of Colorado.  I find that hard to believe.  Perhaps the rocks gave me some trouble.  I'm not sure.

I continued on and after about 500 feet, I came to the top.  Some of the trail had high grass, but now I had the wider doubletrack to work with.  Last time, I took the trail to the east.  This time, I went west to explore more.

I continued to run along, since it was mostly flat.  It was slightly uphill I guess.  At 2.65 miles, I decided I would run to 3.65 miles and turn around.  This was a fairly flat mile.  I thought I heard an animal, but it turned out to be the wind.

It wasn't long and I was ready to turn around.  Instead, I went out farther.  I turned back at mile 4.  This would be a productive day.  I had been just trying to go under a 12 minute per mile pace, but now knew I'd do that.

I continued on.  I was going to just go back to the Shoreline Trail and head down.  I'd go around the lake and that would be good enough.  I pushed a bit and my pace was getting better.  I thought maybe I could even run a sub 11 pace.

I got to the Shoreline Trail.  This was a descent, but it was quite rocky and technical.  I stopped gaining ground on the clock.  Instead, I was breaking even.  It wasn't long to the bottom.

I then came out on the dam.  I had to be careful not to get stung, with all the flowers on the dam.  I cruised along, pushing things a bit.  I just wanted to cross the dam and get out of the sun.

I did that and followed the trail back.  I was along the lake and then up into the woods.  I was now on the Switchback Trail.  I was well over 6 miles and not sure if I'd get to 7 miles.  I did some calculations in my head and figured I was under an 11 minute pace now.

I passed a family walking.  I could see the end of the path.  I ran and finished at the end of it, before mile 7.  I had pushed a bit and finished with a nice time.  Most of this run was easy.  That was interesting, since I don't run for long stretches much any more.  It is usually run, hike, run, hike.

It was a solid workout and nice to be back running.  I feel like I want to run again on Sunday.  We shall see.  I'd love to get to the Pinnacle.  I haven't been there in awhile.  It might be better suited for a weekday though.

6.87 miles - 1:14:53 (10:54 pace) 816 feet of gain

No comments:

Post a Comment