Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Smith Gap AT Run

I didn't get around to running over the weekend.  Plans with Kelley fell through.  Since I'm not motivated, it took until Tuesday to run again.  I had a job interview at LL Bean and got a run in after that.

I was planning a short run, so I took no water or anything like that.  I had on shorts and short sleeves.  I wore a Buff too.  It was super humid, but not too warm, so I managed to make it through.

I didn't want any elevation, but I wanted to get on the AT.  I decided to start from Smith Gap Road.  I've hiked through the whole section around here now, but I had never run this part.  I drove up the rough gravel road and parked at the trail.

The plan was to head southbound 2 miles and turn and head back.  I remember this area being pretty smooth.  It sort of was, but still the rocks were plentiful early on.  I cruised along on the very runnable section.  It was great to get back on the AT.

The trees are now full as is the understory.  It was a cloudy and stormy type of day, so it was actually almost like a dark tunnel.  I passed the first campsite and no one was using it.  I then came upon the site I used in April.  Someone had setup their tent and was hanging clothes out to dry.  I didn't see the person as I cruised by.

I kept going, past the nearby spring.  This trail was pretty smooth and curved a bit.  I saw no people on the route.  I love that the AT is well traveled, yet areas like this still have almost no people.  That is especially true during the week and on a bad weather day.

I didn't make it out the 2 miles that I had hoped.  Some big rocks began to show up around 1.75 miles.  I then had to do some hiking, so I decided to simply turn around.

I headed back and started running when the trail cleared again.  I was really enjoying myself.  Some times, I don't enjoy trail running enough.  Today wasn't one of those days though.  The sun actually peeked through the trees for a bit.  That wouldn't last though.

Since I needed more distance, I took the spur trail to the spring.  I didn't want to drop down too much though, so I didn't find the spring.  I turned and headed back.

I could start to feel a few drops.  It was fine where I was at, but I heard thunder in the distance.  At least I wasn't far from the car and I was heading back.

I ran past the tent again.  This time, the clothes were off the line.  I never saw the person take them off though.  I never saw the person at all.  I was all alone all run.  Just the way I like it.

In no time, I was back at the car.  I needed some more distance, so I briefly ran out in the other direction.  I didn't go far though.  I still needed more when I returned to the car.  Therefore, I ran very briefly on a private road.

This wasn't a long run, but it was fun.  I need more nice and simple runs like this.  This part of the AT is pretty, even if there is nothing special about it.  I'm lucky it is so close.

I'm not sure about tomorrow, but I might go to a dirt track race in Maryland.  If I do, I'll probably run the AT there too.  Annapolis Rock is nearby and I've been wanting to go there for some time.  It is almost a three hour drive, so we shall see.

4 miles - 50:29 (12:38 pace) 68 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment