Friday, June 24, 2016

Cub Lake (RMNP) Run - June 8th

I am in and around Rocky Mountain National Park for the next few days.  I stopped to pick up a backpacking permit and asked for the ranger to suggest a run.  Cub Lake was a relatively easy one.  I'm still worried about the elevation.

It was tough to even find parking, on a weekday morning.  The lot was full, but I realized I could park along the road.  I did that and was off.  The trail first crosses over a bridge.  The stream is stunning.  Some guys were fly fishing and Long's Peak was in the background.  It was a perfect Rocky Mountain moment.

The weather was pretty nice, but of course I was hot.  I had on shorts and short sleeves.  I wore my vest to hydrate.

The trail was neat.  It is in the woods, but right along the edge of the meadow.  You can often see animals in there.  I saw some mule deer I think.  I ran along nice and easy.  It started off quite flat.

I did have to pass people from time to time.  The trail wasn't too overcrowded though.  It is also wide enough in most spots for at least two people.

I did tire as I got out farther.  There were some technical parts, but compared to back home, it is smooth.  I cruised along.  I had to slow some when it gradually gained elevation.  I also struggled a little with the elevation I was at.

Toward the lake, it got steeper and I just hiked.  It was great to get to the lake.  The lake wasn't the prettiest, as it was covered with plants.  However, there was a decent view of the mountain.  I found a nice rock to sit on briefly and take it all in.  I ate a Clif Bar too.

After a bit, I turned to head back.  I made note on my watch and let hikers know how far they were from the lake.  They appreciated it.  This area seems to have been hit by a wildfire.

Going back was downhill at first and then flat.  I was able to run most of the way.  It was fun in this direction.  It was getting later in the morning and a bit hot.  I passed a lot of the people I saw earlier.

Eventually, I came out to the trailhead and was done.  It was a nice, solid run and just what I was looking for.  It was pretty easy with some decent scenery.  I hope to see more later on during my travels.

I even ate lunch on a picnic table near my car.  Long's Peak was in the background.  I'm not sure when I'll run again.  I'm backpacking in RMNP first.  I'll probably run somewhere in the Leadville area.  On to the mountains.

5.1 miles - 1:14:36 (14:38 pace) 699 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment