Monday, May 30, 2016

Shades State Park Run (Saturday)

Saturday in Indianapolis is always a day with nothing going on.  Last year, I found a really cool State Forest.  It had nice singletrack and more elevation than I expected.  I heard about another nearby place, Shades State Park.  An online friend used to live near there.

I arrived around noon.  It was warm out, so I went with a singlet.  I figured my vest might make me a little hot too.  The singlet ended up being a good choice.  It was cool in ravines, so I was comfortable most of the time.

I had no actual plan.  This is a bunch of short trails.  The longest was only 1.25 miles.  I took a map, but I just headed off.  I started off at the Devil’s Punch Bowl, near the parking lot.  After going over some wooden steps, I was down in there.

This area is terrific, like much of the stuff in this park.  Streams have carved their way through the rock and made ravines.  There are massive rock layers that you run along.  This was so stunning.  I haven’t been in terrain like this yet and didn’t expect to encounter it in the lands of farm fields in Indiana.

There were a few hikers in this area.  This trail led to a waterfall, but then you had to climb back up.  It was pretty well maintained up above.  There was an overlook, but it had too many trees.

Next, I headed to a few more of the numbered ravine trails.  First, I went downhill again.  This part was equally as beautiful.  The upper portions had the rock walls.  Below that, the trail was a flowing stream.  My feet got very wet and muddy.  Some young guys were impressed that I was running down it, as the moved out of my way.

This one had a ladder down.  The next trail I took from the bottom to the top.  It had a couple ladders up.  I followed some people, but stopped for too many pictures.  The scenery was stunning.  At the bottom, there had been a stony beach and stream too.

There were a few waterfalls, but they were small.  Above the ravine, it was on to smooth, wide trail.  I ran past a group of people.  I didn’t know where to go, so I just followed the signs to Trail #7.  That was a fun and easy descent.

This looped around and Trail #8 came off of it too.  This was labeled as “rugged.”  Rugged definitely was a good term, as all of these trails had rocks, mud and water.  Families could take them, since they are short, but they are definitely better for experienced hikers.

I ended up climbing up #8.  Even at this point, I was only around 3 miles or so.  The terrain was slowing me, as was the photo taking.  There was a significant elevation change with each one of these ravines.

I now had been mostly everywhere.  I wasn’t on Trail #2 yet though.  This one looked like an amazing loop.  I went on Red Fox Ravine, which had some smooth rocks with a stream.  I saw a raccoon.  He looked at me before taking off.

I came to an intersection.  Some hikers were also looking for Trail #2.  We eventually got our bearings.  I told them I was running, so if we weren’t going the right way, I’d be turning back toward them.  I found Trail #2 after a parking lot.

There was some nice running before hitting the loop.  However, I couldn’t run the slight uphills much.  I was hot and tired.  I looked at the map and realized I wanted to run down the ravine.  So I ran the loop counterclockwise.  I think this ended up being a good choice.

Much like every other ravine, this one didn’t disappoint.  This was probably the best one yet.  There were rock walls everywhere.  I felt like I was at a canyon out west.

I heard voices as I climbed over some rocks.  There was a family with two little girls.  I maneuvered around them, but it wasn’t easy.  This was my favorite part of the whole day.  The trail was singletrack sort of along a ridge.  The trail went underneath a cliff though.  A small waterfall was next to it too.

There was a trail straight ahead, but stairs down.  I figured the trail must be down the stairs, but I was unsure for a lot of the way down.  It was mostly just a stream bed.  Every now and then, I found the actual trail.

I only knew I was on track when I finally saw a family coming up.  I was near the bottom at that point.  That climb up would be interesting for families.  At the bottom, there wooden steps up.

These were exhausting to climb.  However, I was glad I didn’t run down them.  That would’ve been boring.  I saw a young couple, with the woman wearing flip flops.  Then, I saw the two guys that were lost earlier.  I told them it was awesome, but they had a tough climb up.

I finished the loop and went to Lover’s Leap.  This viewpoint had trees blocking it too.  I headed back and finished up this loop and was out at the parking lot.  I checked the map and found a shorter way back to the car.  A bunch of youths were hiking down to Devil’s Punch Bowl.

I got back at my car.  Again, I was around mile 6, like the other day.  It was good to be done.  This was a slow day, but it was stunning.  I never thought I’d see something like this in Indiana.  I was impressed.


I will be at the race tomorrow and traveling home Monday.  If it is a nice day, maybe I’ll run then.  If not, I’ll probably do so on Tuesday.  I’m still not sure when I’m leaving for Colorado yet, but it will likely be in early June.

6.04 miles - 1:50:23 (18:17 pace) 547 feet of elevation gain 

No comments:

Post a Comment