Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Musconetcong Gorge Again

I was at Musconetcong Gorge to hike and enjoy nature on Sunday.  It was lovely, so I decided I'd invite people along this evening.  No one said they were coming and no one did, so I was on my own.  I didn't want a lot of miles.  I figured I'd do the loop on my own and maybe the out and back.

It was actually a nice spring evening.  Even with shorts and short sleeves, I was still sweating.  The climbing got me working hard.

I started from the lot and headed up first.  This was fun in the beginning.  I thought I was running nice and easy and cruising along.  It wasn't long before I had to work at it though.  There's some good climbing and plenty of rocks.

I was able to run most of the way to the waterfalls on this upper trail.  Then, it was too steep.  It's basically straight up out of there.  It was a mix of running and hiking and a lot more hiking.  It would take a lot of effort to keep running here.  I probably could, but I sure would wear myself down.  It is also quite rocky.

The trail kept seeming to go up.  Finally, it got a little better after the big rock.  Still, there were some little ups and downs along the ridge.  I continued on past the white blazed trail. 

I wanted to run all the way out to the road.  I figured I would stay on the trail unless it descended too much.  This ridge part is much less used.  There were still a lot of leaves and footing was tough on the narrow singletrack. 

After less than half a mile, the trail began to descend too much.  I decided to just turn around and head back.  I was only around 1.5 miles.

I came to the white blazed trail.  Now, it was time for the fun switchback descent.  It was about 500 feet in around half a mile.  I had fun cruising down.  It is a little technical and steep in spots, so I didn't push the whole time.

After getting to the bottom, there's some gradual climbing.  I was around 2.5 miles.  It wasn't long and I was at the waterfall on the bottom trail.  I took it in briefly, but kept running.  I hiked a little after the waterfall, until I was on the ridge again.

Now, I had some ridge running, as I worked my way to 3.5 miles.  I knew I had some tough climbing to go.  I kept pushing myself, but wasn't able to keep going.  I hiked a bit near the end.  This was a short day, but some fun and pretty good elevation.

I want to run here with Angie some time.  Maybe next Monday.  Tomorrow, I'll probably take off.  Maybe I'll run on Thursday.  I should do some repeats again at the Delps Trail.  I'd love to get over 4K of gain.  That would make for a long day.

3.62 miles - 48:12 (13:19 pace) 560 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment