Sunday, May 1, 2016

Dark Hollow Falls - Shenandoah National Park (Friday)


I didn’t end up running yesterday.  I’m going to Colorado in June and wanted to test out my camping in a National Park.  I decided to head down to Shenandoah this weekend in Virginia.  The weather isn’t supposed to be great, but I decided to go anyway.  The drive to the campground was interesting.  It was foggy about 80% of the time on Skyline Drive.  I got some cool photos where it wasn’t foggy though.

It was warm when I started my run at 6 PM.  The plan was to run to some falls near my camping area.  My camping site is amazing, as it has a partial view of the mountain.  Also, I’m about 10 feet from the Appalachian Trail and can see hikers go right by.  I ended up wearing short sleeves and shorts.  I became a little chilly by the end, in the damp conditions.

I ran along some pavement first, to get out of the camping area.  That wasn’t much fun, but I wanted to get to the falls as quickly as possible.  I ran past 5 deer on the campground entrance road.

I then got to the Dark Hollow Falls Trailhead.  It was smooth downhill from the start.  Lot of tourists were out there, mostly Asian ones.  It was smooth and easy to start.  Parts got a little rocky as I descended the hollow.  There was a mixture of fog and sunshine peeking through.

This trail was cool and so was the waterfall at the end.  Since I was a little unsure how long this loop was, I couldn’t stop too long to take things in.  I didn’t want to be stuck there after dark.  Now that I write in the dark, I’m glad I wasn’t out there.

I almost took the Rose River Fire Road by mistake.  I got on the right path though.  This loop would take me to another waterfall.  This part was absolutely amazing and almost one of the most perfect runs I ever did.

Everything just came together.  The fog that seemed kind of crappy earlier was perfect, mixed with the lush green plants and the running water along the sides.  There was a lot of uphill in this section.  You had hit the bottom already.

Perhaps the best part of this was that it was late in the day.  I was probably the last person on this section of the trail.  It was a beautiful setting, but also total solitude.  I was completely at peace.  

I stopped briefly at the falls to reflect.  I realized I was probably its last visitor for the day.  The moment was just perfect.  I had to keep moving though.  I was around mile 4 and still had daylight, but I had to be careful.

The trail was a fun singletrack for a bit, but then changed to a fire road as it ascended.  I figured I had over 1,000 feet to climb now.  Since the surface was pretty smooth and had switchbacks, I ran here and there.  My body was tired though.  I had not had dinner yet either.

It wasn’t too long and I successfully made it to Skyline Drive.  I was surprised at how quickly I arrived there.  I was around mile 5.  

I then found the Appalachian Trail across the road.  This was a perfect way to end the run.  I headed on that, but still had some gradual uphill.  I climbed several hundred more feet.  I passed a couple walking their dog.  Then, I came up to my campsite, tired and cold, but beyond thrilled.

This was such a simple run, but yet it was so amazing.  I wish I had more daylight left, to take more of it in.  Of course if there was more daylight, there might not be so much solitude.  This may be no Yosemite, but I did have somewhat of a John Muir moment at least.  I found such peace in the forest.

Tomorrow, I’m planning to run Old Rag.  That is the most popular route in the park.  It will likely be crowded, a big change from today.  I’m hoping maybe some fog and rain might keep people away.  Of course, I’m hoping that all clears for me at the summit, with the amazing views.  There is supposed to be a lot of technical rock scrambling too.  It should be fun, even if it is crowded.

6.61 miles - 1:33:55 (14:13 pace) 1413 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment