Thursday, September 24, 2015

Pocono Environmental Education Center

I took yesterday off and wanted to head somewhere new today.  I didn't want to run long, so I decided to try a few trails at the Pocono Environmental Education Center.  It is in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation area.  I arrived after 3 PM and began my run.

It was pretty hot in the parking lot.  Therefore, I went with just a singlet.  I had a handheld instead of my vest.  I had to put my phone in my shorts to take pictures.  Even without wearing much, I still became very hot and was drenched.

I started across from the parking lot.  This is an interesting place, as it has some cabins as well as many places for children to camp or do other activities.  I wasn't expecting much from the trails here and I ended up quite surprised.

I started across from the parking lot on the Two Ponds/Tumbling Waters Trails.  This trail started off nice and easy around a pond.  It was beautiful and well maintained trails.  There's no surprise to that with all the use they likely get.  I had to stop by the pond and turn my phone on and off again.  After that, I just carried it.

The two trails split a short while later.  I took the Tumbling Waters Trail.  I wanted to see the waterfalls.  I was very surprised with this trail.  I figured all the trails here would be easy.  I guess it is hard to get to a waterfall easily, so these trails were fairly steep and semi technical.

It wasn't long and I was to the access trail to the falls.  I took that down.  There were two beautiful waterfalls with a pool below them.  I took some photos.  Then there was another waterfall and some serious rocks in the area.  I saw some trails to get below them, but it didn't look easy.  I was all alone, so I had to be careful.  I didn't venture much.

Spending time here certainly slowed my pace.  Coming out of the falls would do the same.  It was a steep climb back to the main trail and equally steep climb out from the main trail.  I was hiking up this stuff and sweating like crazy.  I've been on plenty of difficult stuff, but I was caught off guard with how challenging this would be.

There was a clearing when I finally got to the top.  There was a great view into New Jersey and the ridge that the AT runs along.  Again, I was impressed with this trail.  A short time later, I came out to a chimney.  This was probably an amazing view long ago.

From this point, there was still some up and downs back to the parking lot, but most of the trail was runnable.  I cruised along, although I didn't feel great.  I ate a hoagie beforehand and it sure wasn't fueling me.

A little later, I came to a junction with the blue trail.  I stayed on the trail that I was on.  I followed a sign to a cool log cabin learning area.  I then was back at the main building, at over 3 miles into the run.

I definitely needed to refill my bottle in this heat.  I decided to look at a map again.  This time, I was taking the Scenic Gorge Trail.  I figured that this two miler could be a challenge, but it was only two miles.

I took the loop starting at the edge of the parking lot.  There are some cabins you can rent that the trail went above.  I was climbing again.  I really didn't expect this much elevation.  This trail was well maintained too.

It wasn't long and I began descending.  I figured I must be going into the gorge.  Then, the trails split off.  The gorge wasn't too bad.  It was narrow walled along a small creek.  The creek was nearly dry.  Where the other section surprised me with its beauty, this section was a bit disappointing.

There wasn't much to see.  The trail was pretty and fun some times though.  One part was outstanding, as there were ferns next to the trail and up on the hillside.  It was so green and spectacular.

I could run most of the time here.  Really, I could've run all the time, but didn't.  I was worn out.  The trail left the gorge and became boring again.  I came out to some cabins and the end of the trail sooner than I had expected.

I followed the pavement out and came to the main building.  I ran briefly on the road to get to 5.5 miles.  This was a solid run.

I might come here again at some point.  It was a pretty, little place.  It was more than I expected.  That said, there aren't a lot of trails here.  Still, it had a lot of charm.

I will likely not run tomorrow.  Julia and I are planning to meet at Trexler at 7 AM on Saturday.  That should be a fun trip.  Hopefully, my foot will feel better.  I'd love to double loop it, but one loop is more likely.


5.5 miles - 1:15:41 (13:46 pace) 645 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment