Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Kind of Fall

I have been slacking lately.  I like to tell myself that it is good to rest my sore foot, but really I've just been lazy.  I have low motivation.  I thought this was just a summer weather issue, but it seems to be more.  It is getting nice out now and I still don't feel like running.  I'd be up for running new places, but the same old trails make it hard to get out there.

Despite all that, I decided that I had to get out today.  Around dinner time, I headed to Trexler.  I haven't been there since the day before Quadzilla.  It is too exposed to the sun to run there much in the summer.

The weather was good today, low 70s.  I messed up with my clothing selection though.  I went with a regular short sleeve shirt and wore my hydration vest.  In the sun, combined with the hills, that was quite hot.  Other times, in the shade, I was actually chilly.

I started off nice and easy from the Environmental Center.  It was on to the new trail section.  I felt pretty strong and cruised on up here.  My breathing was slightly labored, but not too bad.  With all the time off, I definitely did feel fresh.

I ran near the bison pen next.  That was overgrown for some reason.  I didn't see the bison at all.  One weird thing in this area was a soccer game going on on the LCCC fields next to the trail.  I was reminded that it isn't really remote.

I was happy to be running and cruising along.  I was well under a 10 minute pace.  I ran up the long gradual hill.  The only issue here was that it was exposed and quite sunny and hot now.  I was sweating a lot and the breathing labored some.  It was nowhere near as bad as summer though  There was an older couple hiking here.  They were the only ones I saw out on the trail.

I was wondering about the back section.  They are supposed to do some work on the grass there.  They haven't touched it yet, but they also haven't cut along the trail in some time.  It was a bit overgrown.

I ran up the two false hills and knew running the whole loop would be quite tough.  My legs were burning on these easier ones.  They actually did feel a little better on the steepest hill.  However, I just started to hike about halfway up.  I wasn't as strong as I'd like.

This is always a tough balance.  I probably could've ran this hill, but then who knows how much it would've impacted me later.  I had to be conservative this early, especially when not feeling too great.  Taking a gel, which I was carrying, could've given me a boost of energy, but I opted not to.

I recovered and decided to be cautious on the next hill too.  I hiked a lot of that one.  I crossed the creek next and it was probably as low as I've ever seen it.  After the road crossing, I would've liked to have run up the next hill, but then the grass climb after that would've been very difficult.  I hiked the hill and ran the grass.

It was a little hot in the grass.  It was exposed.  At least running it was easy.  I lost a lot of time while hiking the hills.  I was now over 10 minute pace and hoped to get back on track.

Luckily, the next section is some of the easiest running.  I cruised along, taking it nice and easy.  I wasn't falling off bad, but I wasn't exactly strong at this point either.  I couldn't make up as much time as I would've liked.

I ran up the gradual hill, but it was tough, as I was breathing heavy.  When I'm feeling strong, I cruise up that one and almost don't notice it.  I was around mile 7 now.  I decided to hike up the last steep hill.  I knew it would take too much effort to run it.

I saw three deer at the top.  Later, when I came out onto the jeep road, I saw another one stare at me.  It was likely one of the three.  It then took off.

I had taken it easy, because I didn't think I could break 1 hour and 30 minutes.  Looking at my watch though, I now realized I was close.  I sputtered along the rolling hills.  I was still running though.

The new part in the final section is a little tricky.  It isn't as steep as before, but it is still steep and drawn out.  I probably should've forced myself to run it, but I was quite dead.  I hiked a little and it wound up costing me.

I came out on the old section and ran the short uphill to complete the loop.  I was at 1:29, but realized I'd just miss hitting what I wanted to.  I ended up just over that.  It is tougher to go under 1 hour and 30 minutes now that the new sections have increased the distance.  I actually came to the old distance around 1:26.  I'm also not in great shape at the moment.  Still, I should be able to do better later in the fall when it is even cooler.

This was a great run anyway.  It was exactly what I needed.  I got out of my comfort zone and pushed myself a bit, but not too hard.  I feel like I ran the route pretty smart.  Could I have run 24 seconds faster?  Probably, but I also might have blown up.  I am so glad fall is almost here.

I'd love to say I'll run tomorrow, but who knows when I'll run next.  Julia and I are meeting at Trexler on Saturday.  Company should be great.  Maybe I'll run before that too.  If I ever get off, maybe I'll try upstate New York.

8.8 miles - 1:30:23 (10:16 pace) 1200 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment