Wednesday, September 16, 2015

In Between Summer and Fall

I wanted a lot of recovery following last week's three straight days of 30 miles, 15 miles and 15 miles.  I should've probably run earlier this week though.  I was slacking and didn't get out there until early this evening.

I wanted to go far and explore somewhere new originally, but couldn't convince myself to drive.  Instead, I stayed close by and ran at South Mountain (Lehigh).  I did want to do the slightly longer loop this time though.

The weather was tricky.  It definitely isn't the heat of summer, but it isn't quite the coolness of fall.  It was in between, I guess early fall weather really.  I could've went shirtless and would've been comfortable at times and cool at other times.  Instead, I wore a singlet and got a bit sweaty.

I started off cruising downhill from the top.  That is always a fun way to start.  The trail is a bit overgrown heading onto it though.  I definitely worry some about ticks there.

Last time here, it was a 15 mile day after 30 miles the day before.  Today, I planned to be running more of the hills.  I tried to take them easy.  I ran a good portion of the first big hill.  However, it was just too much work and my breathing was labored.  It was too early to push through, so I hiked to the top.

I ate a hoagie for lunch and seemed to feel the effects of that.  It was a little humid and that wasn't helping either.  For the gradual hill, I just looked right in front of me and went slow.  That worked and I made it to the top without going too hard.

I actually was happy with how fresh my body felt early on.  Oddly, it seemed more sluggish as I kept going.  Normally, the reverse happens to me after a long layoff.  I cruised down the hill.  I then saw a mountain biker.  I think I saw him again a few minutes later on the technical section.

I coasted over the rocks, simply running steady.  I was disappointed that the bottom of my foot bothered me slightly.  I just can't shake the issue.

I ran out to the overlook.  Then, it was back up the hill.  This was a gradual climb and didn't seem too bad this time.  It is amazing how much easier a hill can be if you only do it once.

Instead of heading to the top, I went down the switchbacks and around the mountain this time.  It was a little overgrown on the switchbacks.  Combined with the rocks, I couldn't exactly fly downhill.  The switchbacks seemed to take awhile.

This section is one I don't do much.  It is quite tough, as it seemed to go up and down a bit.  I would've had more fun, if I wasn't so beat.  I battled on.

Not knowing the route hurt me.  One part went up and up and up.  I ended up hiking the top, but then after that, the trail leveled off.  I could've run it.

It is very rocky through this section too.  Still, I ran most of it, albeit slowly.  I crossed over the powerline and was glad I knew where I was.

I knew the last climb would be difficult.  It switchbacks a little and wasn't as big of a problem as I thought it would be.  Last time I ran up this, it was snow covered, so that made it more difficult.

I ran most of this.  However, at the top, some guys were whacking the weeds.  I had to stop to get by them.  I was grateful for the trail to be cleared though.  I was breathing heavy, so I walked a little of the pavement.

Then, I ran on in to my car.  It got me to the 10K distance.  That was a perfect run back after a layoff.  It was a decent run and I was able to run for most of it.  The weather is getting better, but I can't wait until it gets really cool.

I might run again tomorrow.  I'm unsure of my weekend plans.  I'm thinking of doing an epic run in Virginia, but not sure if I want to drive that far.  I was supposed to pace Virgil Crest this weekend, but now that isn't happening, so the weekend is wide open.

6.2 miles - 1:14:13 (11:58 pace) 925 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment