Sunday, September 6, 2015

Jacobsburg 30

I haven't run since the middle of the week.  I wanted to start my back to back long runs on Saturday, but realized I might cut finishing close to a football game I was going to.  Instead, I started with a 30 miler today at Jacobsburg.

The weather was a little concern, but in the woods it was great.  I went shirtless as usual.  My shorts were only partially soaked after a long day out there. 

I wanted to start off with an easy run.  Of course for me, running at Jacobsburg isn't easy.  It is so mentally challenging.  I knew that that part would help me, even if I'd be running relatively fast.  I was also hoping it wouldn't take me too long to run 30 miles.

I decided to park at the little lot near the horse trailer lot.  This was a good choice, as I could refill water at the main lot.  Then, I could do more miles without having to go back to my car.

My biggest worry in the beginning was certainly the horses.  I knew the riders would be out in full force on Labor Day weekend.  They definitely were when I began at 10:30 AM.  A couple of them were in front of me as I hiked the powerline.  Luckily, four were behind me as I went up.

I got into the woods and it was still uphill.  However, I wanted to stay in front of the horses, so I didn't have to pass them on the downhill.  I started running.  However, they decided to have their horses trot and they trotted past me.  I thought this was good because they'd be running downhill.  Instead, they began walking there.  That was so annoying and frustrating.  I had to navigate around all four of them anyway.

I went around the other two horses near a fork in the trail.  I didn't alert them that I was passing.  A short time later, I came across two more horses.  The ladies saw me and moved their horses.  She told me to yell sooner that I was coming.  I never know what to do with horses.  That is my big issue.  At least now I know to give them plenty of time.

Luckily, I didn't have any more issues with horses, although I did certainly see a few more.  I did a little out and back and then ran on some dirt singletrack.  I finished up the loop with a fun singletrack ridge section.  That got me back to my car at 3.5 miles.  I wanted to go longer between stops though from then on out.

For the next loop, I didn't climb the powerline.  I wanted to avoid the climb and also avoid the horses.  I ran straight across.  I also was just looking to run out to the other parts of the park.  I crossed the road and headed to the main area.  I went uphill and behind the new building.  Then, I ran along the fun ridgeline singletrack.  I saw a woman running here either on this loop or the next time.  There were a few runners out, several mountain bikers and lots of families on this day.

I headed back to the water fountain to refill my bottle.  The first hour was a little slow with all the horse traffic.  The second hour, I was feeling good and probably ran too fast.  After the drink, I headed out for the open field loop.  This was quite hot, with the exposure.  I hiked a lot of the uphills.  Throughout the early part, I was trying to be conservative.

I was happy to run downhill and finish this loop and get more water.  Again, I went on the ridge singletrack.  I was over 1/3 of the way done with the run.  Now, I was going to run back to the car.  That would get me over halfway down.

I was okay through miles 14 and 15, but definitely starting to feel pretty crappy.  I kept running along though.  I crossed all the roads and then decided to head back on some of the ridge trail along the Sober's Run loop.  This would add more mileage.

I ended up with an out and back and got to my car around mile 17.  That was perfect and right where I wanted to be.  I was starting to struggle a lot though.  I was tired, but more than that my feet were beat up.

I got some Tailwind and water at this stop.  I took 3 S-Caps and then also grabbed a handful of pretzels.  I began hiking to the powerline and then up it.  I was hoping I'd be recovered by that point.  Instead, going both up and down the powerline was a massive struggle.  My feet, especially my right foot, was killing me.  I ended up hiking a lot.

I headed out across the road, for the longer 6 mile loop.  It was good to get to mile 20, but I was hurting.  This place is so runnable, but it beats me up.  I ended up mixing running and hiking.  At one point, I actually ran on the road briefly.

This was perfect training, as I was suffering and simply had to push through it.  Every new mile was a milestone.  I really looked forward to getting back to my car.  I decided to do more out and back on the trail ridge.  This got me back at the car at over 25 miles.

I was out there about 5 hours at that point.  Earlier, it looked like the run would be about 5 hours and 15 minutes.  Now, I had slowed considerably.  I just plugged along.  Refueling at my car was good.

I decided I'd finish with the Sober's Run loop and add a little more.  I hiked up the powerline.  I started running the downhill and couldn't.  My foot hurt like crazy.  Around mile 27, I was struggling to even hike.  I realized that it was the crushed stone they used as a surface.  It beat my feet up.  Whenever, I could get on the grass, it was a huge relief.

Getting back on the dirt singletrack was a massive relief too.  I went from barely being able to walk and now I was running.  I probably didn't have enough calories, so I was beat at this point.  However, I ran some and was able to push on.

I didn't want to add on any more when at the car and I needed dirt, so I went out and back again.  I figured I'd get back to my car at 29.5 miles.  I tripped on a rock, but the rock plate saved my toes from pain and I didn't fall.

I got back to the car at 29.5 miles.  I decided to do a short road run out and back.  This was better than running on the terrible stone.  Even on the road, my feet hurt some.  I stopped my watch over 30 miles, but it showed 29.99 miles on the Garmin data.  That was so frustrating.

I was thrilled to get this done.  It was frustrating and very mentally challenging.  I pushed through some crap and just kept going.  That is what I'll need to do at my goal race.  My feet are my only issue right now.  I hope they can recover for tomorrow.

Since my West Virginia Trilogy goal race(s) is in the mountains, tomorrow's run will be there too.  I'm hoping to recover well or somewhat well anyway and do 30 more tomorrow.  I'll be going to the Delaware Water Gap.  That will be quite the test.  I can't wait to get through it and rest up.

29.99 miles - 6:07:37 (12:16 pace) 1742 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment