Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Glen Onoko Waterfall Run

Today was my first run since Mega.  I recovered fine, but the temperatures have gone through the roof.  I've had no motivation to run and decided recovery was a better option.  I finally got out there this afternoon, even though it still sucked.

I wanted to do a run that I'd really enjoy.  Last night, I was telling Destrie how awesome Jim Thorpe is and specifically Glen Onoko Fall.  I haven't run there since the fall of 2013 though.  I did that run with a group.  I figured now that school is back in, it would be a good time to head there.

I pulled in in the early afternoon and I was correct.  It was not crowded at all.  There were a few hikers along the way, but mostly I had the trail to myself.

I was also correct that it was super hot.  I wore my vest so I could film with my GoPro.  However, I went shirtless with the vest.  I haven't done that to this point.  I figured I'd be alright though because it wasn't going to be a long run.  I was definitely very hot by the end and even chafed some.  I wore a new pair of New Balance shorts.

I started off in the parking area and headed under the bridge and to the trail.  I don't know why I didn't bother to follow the orange blazes.  Instead, I followed a trail along the stream.  It sort of disappeared, but I came out on the main trail.  I remember when I was there last time, there were many routes to take up.

After missing that first part, I decided to follow the blazes.  That worked out great.  This is a beautiful trail to follow.  There are two main waterfalls, but also many little ones as well.  The trail is quite rocky and root covered and fairly steep.

I hiked up, stopping to take videos and some of the falls and along the trail.  I was in no rush.  However, I did blow by all the hikers I saw.  I wanted a bit of a workout.  The trail crossed over the stream at least twice.

I stayed at the bottom of the big falls for awhile.  Then, I arrived at the top of them.  There's this great view at a rock ledge.  I was hoping to get some video of it, but they now blocked it off.  A couple people fall off that ledge and die every year, so I guess they are taking more precautions.

I continued on.  The second big waterfall was cool too.  At the top of this one, you could walk.  However, there was no ledge or view.  I think there were a few more small falls before getting to the very top of the trail.  It was about 900 feet of gain in over a mile.

I was already hot and drank a lot.  I was now on some sweet singletrack.  However, it was narrow and rocky.  At times, it was fun running along the ridge.  Other times, I couldn't get myself to do it.

There was a decent view at the end of the loop.  I saw some people there.  I then took off on the unmarked singletrack.  I was running along the ridge.  I had seen some spectacular photos from somewhere in this area and hoped I could find it.

I ran along over mile 2.  I decided I would go to 2.5 miles.  Between 2 and 2.5 miles, I came out to a firepit.  Then, there it was.  It was a stunning view along the river and all the surrounding mountains.  I could even see up to Lehigh Gap.  It took it all in for a few minutes.

The singletrack didn't seem to go far.  I was now to a wide woods road though.  I ran on that very briefly and got to 2.5 miles.  These roads are State Game Lands roads and there were nice.  However, they added these annoying big rocks that were hard to run on.

I was glad to head back.  At least I was on singletrack.  Although it was rocky here too, these rocks were natural. 

I ran along the ridge to the orange blazed trail.  This time, I'd finish the loop by going down the other side.  This is away from the falls.  This descent was actually fun.  It had a lot of rocky steps.  Taking a couple videos did slow me down, but other than that, I cruised.  It is funny because I remember thinking this was hard in 2013, but now I'm used to descending.  I found it quite easy.

I was to the bottom in no time.  I was disappointed when I realized that I wouldn't even get close to 5 miles.  I ran along the river briefly and just ended the run back at my car.  It wasn't too challenging, but it was a very fun run.

Tomorrow, I'm not sure what I'll do.  I'd like to run again.  The weather will probably suck again though.  It is September, but summer doesn't want to leave.

4.4 miles - 1:23:01 (18:53 pace) 1,065 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment