Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Post Storm Merrill Creek Run

This weekend was disappointing.  Not only did I cut Saturday's run way short, but I didn't even run at all Sunday.  I felt weak and not recovered from Saturday.  What I hoped to be a big weekend turned into a dud.  I decided not to run yesterday either, as some rain came through.

I finally got back out there today.  We had wicked thunderstorms today too though.  It was cloudy, but looked like it would clear up after dinner.  I headed into Jersey to run at Merrill Creek.  I wanted an easy run and haven't been there in awhile.

It was somewhat comfortable out, when I started at 6 PM.  I went with a singlet instead of no shirt.  I was drenched by the end.  I should've just went shirtless.

Normally, I park in the main lot.  This time, I decided that I would park in the back lot between two of the dams.  I thought starting at a different spot could make the run more interesting.  I also decided to run the loop counterclockwise, rather than clockwise.

There was a mother and son fishing when I pulled into the lot, but no one else.  Not a single boat or kayak was on the water.  I mostly had the place to myself.

The run began with a short section over the dam.  Then, it was into the woods.  The rocks were slippery and it was quite muddy.  I don't know why I didn't think it would be as muddy as it was.  It did rain a lot.

The trail is pretty wide in the beginning.  After about a mile though, it narrows and becomes a little tricky.  It is still pretty nontechnical and fun.  I cruised along.  I ate not long before the run and didn't quite feel great early on.  My legs weren't strong either and I felt like I was working more than I should be.

I did enjoy the singletrack though.  I got to the second dam in no time.  I usually run on top of the dams.  This time, I decided to follow the trail down along the bottom and back up.  This was a bit of a mistake.  It was pretty narrow and steep going down.  I was slipping a little and eventually had to walk.

Then, there was the climb back up.  That seemed to take forever.  It was about 300 feet up.  I had be running a sub 10 minute per mile pace up to that point, but this hike up killed my pace.  I thought maybe I never went down this dam, but it is indeed the steepest one and I've gone to the bottom once before.

I don't like the stone path much, but it was better to be on that then the slippery singletrack around the dam.  I came across some dog walkers after popping out of the woods.  When I got to the 3rd dam, I decided to run over top of it.  This one wasn't as steep if would've taken the bottom.

I saw another person walking as I hit main parking lot.  I was over 3.5 miles now and doing okay.  It did seem like the trail kept going up for some reason.  I was just so sluggish.

I continued to follow the perimeter trail.  I was excited because I now knew that it was mostly singletrack to the finish.  At one point, I lost the trail markings, as it only showed green.  I went left and was over a rocky section that I recalled.  I knew I was on the right track.

I headed along some grass and seemed like I was still going uphill.  I then saw some deer.  It was neat, as it was a mother and two babies.  The babies ran away first.  Then, the mother watched me before taking off.

I was enjoying some downhill singletrack now.  It was quite rocky, so I had to be careful.  The rocks were quite slippery and I did slide every now and then.  I looked forward to getting to the foot bridge.  After some downhill, I was there.

Following that was a ridge section with some roots.  I had to be careful.  Roots can be even more slippery than rocks.  I slid at least once.

I was cruising through here.  I knew I'd push a bit once I got out of the technical section.  I saw the dam, but seemed like it took awhile to get there.  Finally, I was out in the clear.

There is a fourth dam and then an open field type section.  I picked up the pace over that.  I wanted to finish the loop under and hour and I knew I would.  I almost got my pace under 10 minutes per mile, as I finished up.  I was happy to be done.

I'll probably sneak in another short run tomorrow.  I'm going to Musikfest in the evening, so I can't go too far.  I have no idea where I'll go.  Maybe I'll head near there, to South Mountain (Lehigh).  I won't be running too much the rest of this week or this weekend, but I will try to get some stuff done.

5.71 miles - 57:29 (10:04 pace) 558 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment