Friday, August 21, 2015

Easy J-burg Evening Run

This has been a very unproductive week.  I only ran once so far and it was short.  Most of the week, I was busy putting together the Eastern States 100 video.  Yesterday evening, it rained a lot so I stayed in.  The summer weather is finally getting to me.

I got out there to Jacobsburg tonight.  It was supposed to be less humid.  However, I started in the setting sun and found it to be quite warm.  I ran shirtless.  By the end, it was much better, especially when I got into the shade of the woods.

My plan was a solid 10 miles.  I decided to start with the open field loop first and then go and do the main loop.  I ate dinner before the run and didn't feel all that great.  I started off easy.  The path along the creek was busy.

The first climb took some work.  I gradually made my way up.  I was breathing heavy.  They legs didn't feel all that great.  I sputtered along.  The open field seemed hot and it was very buggy.  At least the grass was freshly cut.  I saw a few rabbits and a groundhog.  I smelled a skunk, but luckily I never saw it.

Things got better toward the end of this loop.  The downhill was a big help.  I cruised right on in and back to my car.  Even with a minute break to refill my water bottle, my pace was still a sub 9:30.

I headed back out for the main loop.  Again, the slight climbs were taking some work.  A mountain biker passed me on the one to the road.  This was right near a funky tree that had fallen.  It was good to get back on to some flat stuff.

I wasn't feeling great or terrible, as I went over mile 5.  I was breathing a bit heavy, but cruising along.  The mountain biker stopped and I passed him.  He annoyed me a few minutes later, as he came up from behind.  I had to move over on the fun singletrack.

Although I didn't feel great, I just kept going.  I went over the three road crossings.  I was still running okay.  I entered the Sober's Run Loop.

I knew the hardest part would be the powerline climb and it was.  If I didn't know how long it was or what was after it, I might not have kept running.  There is a slight flat part as it goes into the woods.  The path then climbs again.  That was a big help.

I now looked forward to flying downhill.  I started to do that.  The issue was that I had to go to the bathroom.  Being a couple miles out with no bathroom around, I elected not to risk it.  I just started walking back after 8.32 miles.  It was a solid run anyway.

My legs were a little beat.  I think the stone they put down in spots really bothers me.  I'd like to do some long runs there in the future, but not sure I can.

I really need some long runs now.  I signed up for the West Virginia Trilogy.  It is a 50K on a Friday, a 50M on Saturday and a Half Marathon on Sunday.  It will be a test like nothing else I've done.  I'd really like a couple good back to back weekend long runs.  That won't happen this weekend, but maybe next. 

I think I'm going to do loops at South Mountain tomorrow.  I'm hoping for 20+ miles.  That is somewhat difficult, so it should be a solid test.

8.32 miles - 1:17:24 (9:18 pace) 579 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment