Saturday, August 22, 2015

A Couple Loops at South Mountain (Lehigh)

This is a busy weekend for me, so not a lot of running.  I was hoping to do 20 miles this morning, but I didn't feel great and didn't get up early enough.  It is probably good that I didn't try that because it was a rough day.

I still wanted to do loops at South Mountain (Lehigh).  I got there and started at 11:30 in the morning.  My new plan was 10 miles.  That would be a little over 2 loops.  It was definitely cooler than it has been, but I was still pretty sweaty, particularly early.  I went shirtless and was glad that I did that.

I made sure to put on lots of bug spray since the grass is starting to get overgrown in some parts.  I headed off from the mountain top.  I ran nice and easy on the pavement and then easy again on the downhill.

I could probably run 10 straight miles here if I worked at it, but since I didn't feel great, I decided to just hike the uphills.  I hiked the first easy one near the road crossing.  I ran across the road.  Right near the trail, there was a baby deer staring at me.  It ran away, but the mother stayed on the other side of the trail.  I think they are probably the same two that I saw in this area earlier in the week.

I cruised along.  I walked the next uphill.  I then ran again for a bit.  Then, I got to another gradual ascent.  I hiked that one too.  I was feeling pretty crappy, even with the hiking.  The first two miles took some work. 

I knew I'd now be descending a lot though.  I had to move out of the way for a couple mountain bikers.  Other than them, I had the trails to myself.  I did see some disc golf people, but they weren't right on the trail.

I enjoyed the rocky descent.  I took it easy.  Before long, I was on the pavement again and heading toward the overlook.  I ran past there and back on the trail.

The rest of the trail on this loop was running and hiking.  I hiked the steeper stuff, but ran the flatter ridge parts.  I just ran yesterday evening and my upper quads were bothering me slightly.  They haven't been an issue in some time, so that is a little concerning.  I'll try to stay away from Jacobsburg, for that reason.

Before long, I was back on the pavement and headed toward my car.  I ran the flats and still hiked some of the stairs.  Two college girls were sitting at the wall above as I neared the building.  I cruised on back to my car.  This loop was about 53 minutes.

I didn't want to waste time at the car.  I toweled off, mixed in more Tailwind and ate a gel.  I'm really struggling with early energy in runs.  I don't think I start runs fueled up enough.  I thought the gel would help give me a boost, but really it didn't have much impact.

Loop #2 was more of the same.  I ran some of the same sections and hiked some of the others.  It was good to get over mile five and into the second half of the run.

I hiked the two early hills.  I knew this would be a key section to push through.  I managed to do so.  I looked forward to the rocky downhill part.

I was going through that part and noticed some dog crap on the trail.  I didn't see any on the first loop.  I thought this was odd too, because not many people are on the trails at all.  I rarely see a dog walker.  I was then hiking a short uphill and I noticed a dog staring at me.  It looked like a pitbull and it looked a little rough.  I was glad it didn't come after me.  If it looked like a nicer dog, I might've looked for a collar.  I'm also not sure what I would've done anyway, as it was halfway through my loop.  I guess I could've taken it to the Lehigh Police or something, but I don't even know where they are at.

I continued on.  I ran past the overlook again.  I started up the hill.  I heard either a guy whistling (maybe for a dog) or a loud bird.  I couldn't tell and I couldn't see either one of these things.  I ran along.

It was good to get over mile 8 and be near the top.  I knew I needed to add some distance to get to mile 10.  Rather than running straight back to the car, I took the outer loop.  It would be pavement and in the sun, but at least it would add distance.

There was still some uphill and that made it a little tough.  I kept checking my watch.  I went out the edge of the Mountaintop Campus and then came back.  I looped around to my car.  When I got there, I had less than a quarter mile to go.  I continued on past my car.

It was nice to finish up heading downhill.  I hit mile 10 near my car, but kept going a bit to get over 2 hours.  When I did that, I stopped the run.  It was a bit of a struggle, but a productive day anyway.

Tomorrow, I doubt I'll have time to run.  I'm going to the Pocono IndyCar race.  If I'm lucky, maybe I can go somewhere in the evening.  It is doubtful though.  I'll probably run on Monday.  Next weekend is my big goal weekend.  I have Mega on Saturday and hopefully another 30 miles on Sunday.  It would sure be nice if I'd feel better and particularly stronger by then.

10.09 miles - 2:00:07 (11:54 pace) 1331 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment