Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Finally Adapted at South Mountain

Between Eastern States and making a video of Eastern States, I've been too busy to run.  Friday evening was my last one.  I had to get out this evening, even though the video isn't done.

The weather had been another reason I didn't want to get out there.  The last few days, it was in or around the 90s and super humid.  August had finally arrived.  I went shirtless and was sweating by the end of this evening run, but it wasn't terrible.

I figured that I'd just do one loop at South Mountain (Lehigh) and take it easy.  I got there a little after 6 PM.  I was cruising down the first hill and was surprised to run into two trail runners.  I never see anyone here.  I was even more surprised to see it was my friends Wayne and Todd.  They were doing repeats.  I said hello and was on my way.

I was wearing my new Bushido shoes.  They caused my ankle to twist a few times, but in general were pretty good.  I have them laced differently and may have to adjust them again.

I cruised on the downhill.  I knew the climbs could be a challenge.  As I crossed the road, a mountain biker was coming out of the trail.  After that, I saw my first deer.  I think there were 6 of them, including a baby, throughout the run.

I was interested to see how the first climb would go.  I struggled with the heat so much earlier in the summer that I had to hike these.  It wasn't easy, but I was steady and I managed it today.

Since it was still early, the second climb was a bit of a challenge.  It is a gradual one.  My breathing labored some and my lungs were burning.  Luckily, I knew how long the climb was and I made it to the top without stopping.

Some of the trail was a little overgrown in spots, but overall not too bad.  I crossed the next road and enjoyed the rocky descent.  I didn't fly over the rocks, but I was solid.  It was still hot and I wanted to be conservative.  My feet seemed to get better and better over the rocks.

The previous climb and final long gradual climb were so difficult before I was heat adapted.  After the view, I started that gradual climb.  I took my time, but it seemed rather easy today.  I'm sure all the steep elevation training is helping now too.  I never even thought about stopping.

I wanted to get under an 11 minute pace.  I realized that that would definitely happen with the road running at the end.  I ran up that and got more elevation too.  I wanted to get to 4.5 miles, so I ran a short bit in the parking lot to get there.

It was a short, but solid run.  I was thrilled that it went much better than my last run there in June.  I'm finally used to the heat.  I still can't push in it, but at least I can manage to run easy.  I couldn't even do that before.

Tomorrow, I plan to run again.  I'm not sure where at or how far.  I'd like to get to Tammany, but unsure if I'm up for driving there.  With a slight cough, I haven't been running much lately.  I'm still not over it, but should run more anyway.

4.5 miles - 48:14 (10:43 pace) 694 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment