Monday, August 3, 2015

J-burg Recovery 15

I wanted to do back to back long runs this weekend to prep for the West Virginia Trilogy.  However, my post On the Rocks chafing was quite bad.  I took the next day off.

I had to get out there for a decent run today.  I decided to go to Jacobsburg in the afternoon.  Then, I could get in faster miles.  I wanted to do 15 miles.

It was hot as usual, but I guess I'm finally adapting.  I was drenched by the end of course, but the temperature didn't bother me.  Of course, I ran shirtless.

I took it easy at the beginning.  It was nice and cool along the creek.  Many families were out and it was crowded.  It didn't take long until I made the turn and headed slightly uphill.  Then, I'd rarely see another soul.

The first mile was 10 minutes flat, every other mile was under that, except for my long stop.  I saw a groundhog across the trail, but it ran off.  Some trucks were clearing brush from below the powerlines.  That was annoying.

I just tried to run steady.  The legs weren't bad.  They were a little better than I expected.  Still, they didn't come around during this loop and I had to battle.  The moderate hills were a little slow.  Big hills would've certainly been a challenge.

I crossed the three roads.  I was a little concerned because the bottom of my foot was bothering me.  I started thinking about quitting after a loop.  I figured I'd wait to see if it got better.

I slowly grind my way up the powerline.  Again, I was just trying to be solid and steady.  I knew coming downhill would be great.  It certainly was, and it felt easier and gave my legs a break.

In no time, the loop was over.  I was back at my car.  I refilled my water bottle and headed back out for a second loop.  A family saw me early on and realized I was on my second loop.  At times, I startled hikers when I yelled from behind.  They are never paying attention.

I took another turn and did the solid, gradual climb.  A dog was in front of its owners and jumped out of the woods and scared me.  I continued on a consistent pace.  I got halfway through the run and was feeling okay, but not great.

I tried to focus on each mile.  The slight climbs were getting a little harder.  I knew just getting over the powerline climb would be huge.  I was slow and steady up that, but got it done.

Now, it was downhill and flat to finish out the loop.  However, I had been running without stopping much.  The legs were starting to tire and the feet were getting sore.  I battled through it though.

I saw a few trail runners on this loop.  I later saw Gary running along the road.  It was great to get done with the second loop.  I threw my handheld in the car.  I had some short distance to add.

I was around 12.4 miles when I got near the creek.  I wanted to just go out and back for a bit.  I was starting to tire, but battling.  I took the left turn again.  Now, the gradual uphill was tough.

I turned around and coming back downhill was nice.  I also looped around the other parking lot, to add some distance.  I startled a couple again.  Some little girl was pretending to run when I went by.  That was cute.

I wasn't pushing at this point.  I was just trying not to fall off.  That took some effort, but I was successful.  I went past the parking lot and to the new building.  I turned around and finished right by my car.

I had just been hoping to run a sub 10 minute pace.  I was well under that.  It was a good, productive run.  I was a little sore and tired, but not too bad.  I need a couple more big weekends in the future.

Tomorrow, I'll probably take off again.  Then, I'll likely get some elevation on Wednesday.  I want a solid and productive week.

15 miles - 2:20:30 (9:22 pace) 882 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment