Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Near Midnight and Sub Freezing J-burg Run

It's been a crazy busy week in work.  I haven't run since the weekend.  Today, I worked from about 11 in the morning until 11 at night.  Even though I was exhausted, I was determined to run.

I decided to head to Jacobsburg for a night trail run.  It was 11:33 PM when I started.  The plan was to run the Sober's Run loop.  Most of it would be easy, but I was hoping to run some of the technical singletrack.  I was even planning to do a short loop and cross the creek too, right before finishing up.

This plan was crazy enough, but the weather made it even more nuts.  It has barely been above freezing during the day, the last two days.  It was 27 degrees when I started the run.  I had on tights, a ColdGear top, gloves, a headband and even a fleece vest.

I parked in the small lot, started my watch and was going.  My headlamp wasn't too bright, but I figured it would be okay on this non technical course.  It is a flat start and then shortly after that, I climbed the powerline.  That wasn't bad and my breathing seemed good.  Even though the temperature was cold, I was actually kind of warm with all of my gear.

The powerline was good at first, then my major problem began.  The headlamp began to flicker and shut off.  I was able to turn it back on a few times.  That was good because there are boards on this uphill.  I could've tripped on them.

Since I couldn't see, the climb wasn't as daunting as usual.  In fact, it seemed super easy and was over in no time.  The headlamp went on and off a few times, before the regular lamp part was gone for good.

Now, all I had was a faint red color.  Still, that was better than nothing.  I had to really focus, but at least I could see.  I ran along.  The run seemed to be going by quickly.  I was starting the long descent.

Luckily, this trail is quite wide.  It was also fairly bright, even though the moon isn't at its strongest phase right now.  At least I could make out where the trail was, even though I couldn't see.

On the way down, even my red light went out.  It went back to a very faint normal light.  It wasn't enough light to see.  I just had to run on feel and knowledge of the course.  I always felt like I've run Jacobsburg so many times that I could run it in the dark.  Now, I was putting that to the test.  For the most part, I was successful.

I had to be careful on the downhill because there were some more boards.  I could just see them.  I did nearly stumble a few times, as there were a few uphill bumps.  I bashed my foot on a few rocks, but luckily this section was great.  There weren't many of those.  With all the rest I've had lately and putting some inserts into my shoes, my left foot is doing much, much better.  I'm still going to take care of it though and be careful.

I almost missed one turn, but other than that, things were easy.  Since I had no light, I couldn't head to the singletrack section.  That was disappointing.  I went back on the main trail.  This part is like a smooth rail trail and in fact, across the road is a rail trail.

I couldn't see too well in this section.  It can get muddy at times and I was slightly worried about potential ice.  I had not issues though.  I cruised along and finished up.  My water bottle was beginning to freeze. 
 
I wasn't able to get as much running done as I wanted, but it was still a productive night.  The trail run was much needed after a long day at work.  I may have to get here more often at night.  I have a new friend and she trail runs at night all the time.  I thought about that and it was a big inspiration to get me out there after work.  I also thought that it would be a good test to run at night when I'm tired.  That's good practice for future ultras.

I'm busy again at work tomorrow.  I might have some free time in the afternoon though.  I'm hoping to run at Trexler again.  I want to do the 10 mile loop.  I'd even love to do it twice.  This might be my only chance in the next two week to run for several hours.  Work will be super busy.

2.49 miles - 21:46 (8:45 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment