Sunday, November 16, 2014

First Long Trexler Loop

With my banged up foot, I took Saturday off.  I nearly took Sunday off too.  It is hard to get out there when you aren't 100%.  Rest would be better anyway.  However, I couldn't sit around all day.

I went to the drugstore and got an insert for my shoe.  I figured maybe it would help my foot.  It was awkward at first, but seemed to do a pretty good job on this run.  I headed to Trexler to run.  I've never run the longer loop and wanted to try that.  It adds quite a bit more elevation in 1.5 additional miles.

The weather was tricky.  It was quite cold, around 40 degrees, even in the afternoon.  Since I wasn't going hard, I decided on tights and a light weight long sleeve shirt.  I also had on a hat and gloves.  It was a bit much, but still manageable.  At least I wisely elected to go without the fleece vest.  Clothing decisions are always tough because it is much colder and windier at the start.

I began taking it easy.  Going up the steep early hill was quite tough.  My breathing in the cold air was labored.  I didn't stop running though.  I ran that first mile at just under 9 minutes.  It was a solid start.

This was a good course for my foot.  It isn't too rocky and most of the rocks are small and loose.  I managed to handle it pretty well.  A few times I did hit a rock funny and it hurt a bit.  I survived though and am getting better day by day.

This whole beginning was rather uneventful.  It is kind of funny because most people like Trexler when it is full of color.  It was dead and gloomy today and that is perfect for me.  That means cool weather.  My breathing wasn't bad, but it was slightly labored for longer than I expected. 

My right leg was sore early, but that went away.  I thought maybe it was from running differently with my messed up foot, but I'm not actually sure.  The only other issue was a good amount of mud.  That made it slippery.  My shoes aren't good on rocks or slippery conditions.

I continued to cruise along.  I ran straight through until the big hill.  It was early and I was taking a new route, so I hiked quite a bit of that hill.  I ran the next hill after that, but was quite beat so I walked the flat part at the top.

I didn't eat lunch before the run.  I was concerned about not having many calories.  Luckily, I was taking it easy.  I turned on to the green trail, for the new route.  It climbed right away.  I wasn't quite prepared for that.  It was a mix of running and hiking for me.

This climb was a good workout.  After the green trail, I took the orange trail.  This whole area was a mix of running and hiking.  I was being conservative.

Luckily for me, there was a kiosk at the top.  I stopped and took out a map and made sure I went the correct way.  I did so.  I saw a pheasant run across the trail.  I had see a runner earlier, but other than that I was on my own.

I almost didn't see the turn for the white trail.  I noticed it at the last minute.  It was a steep descent.  I bet it is an awesome climb in the other direction.  At the bottom, I crossed a small feeder creek.  I didn't even have to get my feet wet.

I crossed the road and was on to the blue trail.  I knew part of this loop.  Turning right went along the creek and was the easier route to the zoo area.  However, I took the route to the left.  That was a climb up to the top of the ridge.

Again, this was a mix of running and hiking.  It wasn't as tough of a climb as I expected, but it sure wasn't easy either.  It had switchbacks and some opportunities to recover on brief flat parts.  It was nice to get to the top of the ridge.  There were some pretty views of the zoo and area down below.

I ran along the ridge.  Then, the hill began to descend.  I was startled by a white creature along the trail, in the woods.  I then realized it had a collar and was just a dog.  Its owner came up the trail later.  I thought this part was remote, but it wasn't.  I was close to the bottom.

I had to use the bathroom at the bottom of the trail.  That cost me some time.  I was in no hurry.  I crossed the creek over the bridge. 

Next, it was on to the route that starts the Quadzilla race.  That's smooth and flat and then I turned back on to trail.  That had a short climb that wasn't too tough.  I think I took a slight shortcut on to the border trail.

I still had quite a few miles to go and was exhausted.  At least I knew the route now.  That was a big help as I battled along.  On flat or downhill sections, I had no breathing issues.  I struggled a little on the one gradual hill.  I was able to keep running though.

I knew that the long uphill after the road would be tricky.  In that area, they were building a canopy.  I guess they are going to use it with a bench.  That looks pretty cool.

This long hill was tough, but I went slow and battled up it.  I just focused on each step.  I knew I could run up and recover after that.  That is exactly what I did.  There was a lot of junk from KidsPeace across the trail.  That was disappointing.

I enjoyed the rolling hills after the dirt road segment.  I was thrilled to get to mile 9 and know that I was nearly done.  I knew there would be one tough climb left.  I crossed the road and that part began.

Again, this climb was tough, but all mental.  Climbing is largely mental.  Your breathing gets labored and your legs burn, but you have to ignore it and keep running.  Of course, knowing the route and successfully making the climb before is a big help.  I was able to do it again today.  I struggled to get up this steep part, but I did it.

I came up to two kids before the last short uphill.  I ran by them and their father.  He said something to me and I met him in the parking lot a short bit later.  I told him the route I took.

I went up that last short hill.  Then, I ran out to the gate in the parking lot.  I headed back toward the trail.  I wanted to get to mile 10.  I had only been to 9.9 miles when I arrived at the top.  My watch actually stopped at 9.99 miles.

This was a great new route.  I will take it often.  I'm even eager to take it twice next time.  That would be an impressive 20 miles and around 4,000 feet of elevation gain.  Most importantly, a lot of it is runnable.

I'm glad my foot feels good too.  I think it is supposed to rain tomorrow.  If so, I'm not sure that I'll run.  Maybe an easy one at Jacobsburg, if I do.  I have a morning and night order on Tuesday.  I may try to run again in between.  Perhaps I'll go to Trexler and run this route again.  It's the best option for elevation gain, without too many rocks.

9.99 miles - 1:41:59 (10:12 pace) and 1,913 ft of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment