Monday, November 10, 2014

DWG Recovery Run at J-Burg

I was fairly sore after the challenging 50k on Saturday.  I cramped up on Saturday evening too.  I probably could've run at Jacobsburg with Gary's group yesterday, but I didn't want to push it.  Even today, my legs felt good, but the bottom of my foot was sore.  It took a pounding from all of the rocks.

I wasn't going to run today, but then I didn't have to work.  I decided that I didn't feel too bad, so I'd go for an easy 6 miler at Jacobsburg.  That wouldn't beat me up too much.

The weather was fairly nice, in the low 50s.  I almost went with a long sleeve shirt, but I'm glad that I didn't.  I pushed harder than I planned and was sweating at the end.  It was cool, but I look forward to to it getting even colder.  It was sunny too, with all of the leaves gone from the trees.

I did my regular loop.  It was a nice and comfortable run along the creek.  The uphills bothered my legs slightly.  I was just cruising along.  I ended up running an 8:37 first mile.  That is quicker than I usually go.

I didn't enjoy the slight uphills much, but this route isn't bad at all.  It's kind of like a track in the world of trail running.  It's so fast.  The slightly rocky singletrack was a blast and I was through that in no time.  Mile 2 was an 8:18.

I wasn't pushing hard either.  I simply cruised along and enjoyed the day.  I did tell myself to back off and take it a little easier, but of course I didn't listen.  I felt good though.  I knew I just had to get through the one climb.

The powerline climb wasn't bad at all.  Mile 3 had dropped to an 8:55.  I was breathing a bit as I headed up the powerline.  I stayed consistent though.  I think I ran this mile faster than I ever had before.  It was a blazing 8:28.  I had no idea I was moving that quickly.  I was actually just looking for like a 9:30.

I knew it was basically all down hill after that.  Knowing the course is a huge advantage.  I relaxed and let my body just glide downhill.  There were a lot of leaves down, but luckily, few rocks.  I passed three people on horses on the way down.  Mile 5 was a 7:25.  That was without pushing much.

I then had mostly flat running and roads to go.  I ran by a hunter on the trail with a rifle.  It was a good thing I wore an orange vest.  I don't worry too much though, since these trails aren't remote or anything like that.  Some people have orange on, others don't.

I saw my time was improving, so I did hammer this last mile slightly faster.  My breathing was labored, but I certainly could've run harder too.  I came on home and finished up in the parking lot.  That last mile was a 6:54. 

I planned on an easy recovery, but this super easy trail often causes me to push more than I planned.  I guess I shouldn't look at my watch.  I think I might've run this loop faster than I ever have before.  I know I could go quite a bit faster too.  I might have to practice running faster workouts there.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to get back at it again.  I'd like to head back to the AT at Wind Gap.  That can give me some climbing.  I might go to the Katellen Trail since it is less rocky and my foot is still sore.  On Thursday, I'm hoping to explore more again.  I might make a New Jersey trip then.

6 miles - 48:36 (8:06 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment