Sunday, November 24, 2013

Windy and Cold Sunday Run

I'm usually busy with Eagles games on Sundays, so my week often gets off to a slow start.  I frequently rest on Sunday.  Today, they had a bye and I was free to get a run in. 

Of course it would be super windy and cold.  I waited until the afternoon (since the early football games were terrible anyway).  It warmed up to a windchill of 13 degrees.  I was only planning on 5 miles, just to jump start the week.

The plan was to run on the Nor-Bath Trail.  Rather than fight the wind, I wanted to use it to my advantage today.  I left my car at the east end of the trail and convinced my parents to drop me off at the west end in Northampton.  That way I could run with the wind at my back most of the run.

I told them to wait a couple minutes in case I turned around and gave up early.  I figured that that likely wouldn't happen though.  I had on tights and shorts, a winter top and fleece vest and gloves and a headband.  My mom was worried that I'd be too cold.  I was actually more concerned of the opposite.  I thought it might be too hot and I'd have to peel off layers.

From a temperature and feeling standpoint, the run started off great.  The only downside to starting this way is that it is an uphill beginning.  The hills aren't that steep, but it can be a slight challenge when your legs aren't warmed up.

I just focused on getting to each road crossing.  First, it was the neighborhood section and then Savage Road.  Those come up pretty quickly, within the first mile.  That mile was run at a comfortable 8:09.

I cruised along.  I can't say I was running slow, but I didn't feel like I was working too much either.  The legs felt great.  In this section between Savage Road and Weaversville Road, I saw some people walking.  One was a woman who was 70 or 80 years old.  If she can be out there in that weather at her age and walking around, then what I was doing was easy.  I saw another older guy later on with an Eagles sweatshirt.  Us Eagles fans had nothing to do today I guess.  I sure do hate bye weeks.

There were a bunch of crows making noise in this area, so I had some fun mocking them.  I crossed Weaversville Road with ease.  Amazingly, I didn't have to stop at a single road crossing.  After a second mile of 7:15, I was feeling good in the stretch around Bicentennial Park.

As I sort of figured, this area would be a little more interesting.  It was surrounded by open fields and there was no way to block the wind.  There was almost no wind in the first 2.5 miles, but now it was definitely present.

The wind wasn't too bad because at least it was coming from the side.  It did blow me off the path from time to time and I definitely had to fight it some.  Even with the wind, mile 3 was a 6:59.

I didn't plan on running sub 7 minute miles, but that was exactly what happened.  Maybe I was working a little harder than I should've.  Still, I was far from my limit.  Mile 4 was a 6:53 through the wind.

Before long, I was over Airport Road and onto the last major section.  I got to Jacksonville Road with about a third of a mile left.  I ran a brief out and back on that side of the road.  My breathing had become a little labored.  I guess today was good practice for working on my breathing without overtaxing my legs.  I finished up at my car with a 6:46 final mile.

Much as I suspected, I just needed to get out there and run.  It wasn't the most pleasant run, but it wasn't that bad either.  It was short enough that it was no problem.  I'll take cold running over summer running any time.  At least you can layer up in the cold.  In the summer, I can't run naked.  It would be frowned upon anyway.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping for a quality day.  I'd like an easy AM run and possibly a PM long run.  The end of my week will be busy, so I want to get a lot done in the beginning of it.  I haven't checked the weather yet to see what kind of a factor that will play.

5 miles - 36:01 (7:13 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment