Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sometimes You Have to Just Keep Going

After a great easy run on the Nor-Bath Trail yesterday, I headed there again for some hard running.  I had a doctor's appointment, so I got there late in the afternoon.  I wasn't quite sure whether I was going to run longer segments or some short and fast repeats.

The wind was much better than a day ago, but it was still quite chilly.  I went with a long sleeve top and shorts.  I definitely developed some minor wind burn.

I warmed up for a mile and didn't feel all that great or fast, so I decided that there was no way I could run half mile repeats.  Instead, I wanted to try a different type of workout.  I've often seen workouts with several consecutive miles of hard running with a break in between and then several more miles of hard running.  That is what I wanted to do.  It was kind of like a combination of a tempo run and repeats.  The plan was to run 4 miles pretty hard, then recover with 2 easy miles and finish up with another 4 miles of hard running.

I started off the fast part by running some decent times.  However, I wasn't sure if I could keep it up.  The legs didn't feel great at all.  My breathing was okay.  Hard mile 1 was a 6:42, but that took quite a bit of work. 

The 2nd hard mile did have a road crossing, but that didn't really slow me.  I just didn't feel strong and this mile really slipped.  It dropped to a 6:48 and I was getting very discouraged.  I was thinking of quitting and came very close to doing so.  I was beginning to think that it just wasn't my day. 

I decided instead that I just had to finish this first hard 4 mile segment.  It didn't even matter what the pace was anymore.  I had to at least get through that and then go from there.  Originally, I was going to run the 2 miles out and then come back.  Instead, I kept going.

The 3rd hard mile is where the magic finally started to happen.  Suddenly, the legs started to come around and I began to feel much better.  I ran a fast 6:36 mile.  I now knew that at least this first segment would be solid.

Amazingly, I made it across Airport Road without needing to stop.  That's a rarity during the busy evening hours.  I continued on until almost the end of the trail.  The 4th hard mile was even better than the previous one and I finished the segment with a 6:33.  I was actually amazed that I had that much speed and I was certainly working hard, but felt like I could've pushed even a little more too.

I do well with shorter repeats, so I was interested to see how my body would handle these 2 recovery miles.  I wanted to see how I'd bounce back.  Neither one was exactly slow, so that was a good sign.  The last one was even a 7:15.

I started up the 2nd hard segment.  The legs took a little time to warmup, but that made for a conservative start.  Although they just felt okay, I was encouraged by a strong pace.  This 1st mile was a 6:37.  At one point, I think I was going downhill because I felt awesome.

Things continued on the same path.  I was in such a groove.  The next mile was a 6:40.  I was running quite consistent now.  With the cold air, I felt a little funny, but I just kept pushing on.  I turned around right before my car and had 2 more hard miles to go.

I had saved up a little and could push a bit more now.  The legs started to feel slightly weird though, so I didn't want to go overboard.  When I had started this 2nd segment, I didn't know what to expect.  I just figured if I could run under 7 minutes for each one, I'd be thrilled.  Now, I was well under that.

My times even dropped for both of these last 2 hard miles.  They went to 6:36 and then 6:33 as I finished up going uphill slightly, but also really pushed myself.  I was so thrilled when I finished.

I was even more excited when I looked at the overall pace.  After 11 total miles, it was 6:58.  That is under my half marathon PR and more amazing is that that is with 3 of those miles run at an easy effort.  After a much slower last mile, the pace was a 7:09.  I could've easily run a half marathon PR today if I tried to do so.

For the first fast segment, my time for the 4 miles was 26:39.  That is an average pace of 6:40.  I was surprisingly even faster on the second segment.  It was a total time of 26:26, with a pace of 6:37.  Those 8 hard miles combined for a time of 53:05 (6:38 pace)

This was an other amazing run that just makes Saturday all the more frustrating.  I guess I just need to get over it.  Maybe I need to sign up for another race.  I obviously love the surface on the Nor-Bath Trail.  I might push myself there and try to run a half marathon PR in the near future.  I do also need to get onto some roads or paved trails and test my pace out there too at some point.  If I can't run well on roads, then I have a lot of work to do to reach my goals.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to run twice.  Once in the morning and once in the afternoon.  I was thinking of going to New Jersey for the afternoon run, but I have to work at dinner time.  That run will definitely be on a trail.

12 miles - 1:25:47 (7:09 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment